All: Claire Labine Interview

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This interview is MAGIC. Claire Labine is one of my all-time favorite writers, thanks to her GH stint (and the fact that I am *obsessed* by her and Paul Avila Mayer's Love of Life). Her responses are so thoughtful and, like her writing, she does not dumb down. Also, the interviewer Damon Jacobs is asking the most insightful questions. I especially loved the discussion about psychological analysis and motivation.

I didn't know that. What's the story there?

BTW, is there any way we can get Ilene Kristen on contract once and for all at OLTL?!

• Members

I haven't read many interviews with her so these questions make sense to me as I didn't know what the answers would be in advance! I liked that they talked about Where the Heart is and LoL because these are shows I would love to know more about. And, as mentioned, the psychological discussion (though brief and in passing) whet my appetite. I would have loved to read more on that (especially the Freudian analysis of the Ryans. BTW, am I the only one who thought Maeve Ryan was a domineering blowhard who emotionally castrated her sons? Eh. Just me, probably) but I understood that they had to get to the mega-topic that is GH.

Also loved:

THIS.

• Members

That was the most laughable part for me.

I mean, take a look at the statement: "But Freud and the Greeks really had it right."

:huh::rolleyes:

So banal, so laughable. So what - Jung (e.g.) "had it wrong"? :rolleyes::lol:

Also: so... In the end... She created Carly?

• Members

You see, Sylph! You learnt something new from this interview! (And it goes against Guza's boast that he created Carly).

Jung was Swiss, so I guess not! However, Freudian and Jungian analysis are closely comparative and Freud was his mentor when he was young (jung!), so maybe Labine was lumping him in under Freud. But that's a discussion for another time.

• Members

I hadn't realized that Claire disliked Genie until this interview. I have never been able to figure the real story about Genie and ABC. There have been snippets that Genie was difficult backstage, but I find it hard to believe that she was any more difficult than Geary. Whatever the real story, it probably has to do with her being a female actor demanding as much as male actors.

• Members

This is such a great interview and a real enjoyment to read. I was surprised to learn that she did not create Sonny. Many people (from my understanding) often think he was created under her tenure. I really wish she would have killed him off. I always knew she created Carly and I am under the impression that Carly is one of the characters that premiered after Labine left. From interviews with Patrick Mulcahey, he stated that they really didn't know what to do with Carly when he was there so I kind of wonder if they even looked at the ground work Labine laid out for her.

Can't wait for part 5!!!

• Members

I do not believe Genie was difficult.ABC are just smug buisnessman who did not like the look of Genie or were making their jobs hard and JFP was their saviour when she "Fired" her.

Genie should return.She is the heart and soul of GH.Always will be

Archived