OLTL: Discussion for the week November 2

• Members

Bravo OLTL on a job well done. Perhaps one of the most well written stories involving gays in years. I loved the little montgage at the end. Andrew's speech at the end really touched characters across the canvas, and seeing straight and gay couples exchange kisses with their loved ones, care free, really was a monumental sight to see occuring in Angel Square.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They probably didn't advertise because they didn't want controversy. Or too much controversy. It's easier to advertise with the more established characters, and the more established themes (even if most of the characters who are most established at the moment tend to suck).

The story isn't realistic (although if it had been realistic it probably would have been called boring), which has bothered me, but if they really went into a story of the fight for gay marriage and the hostility and ugliness which many of these campaigns involve, it would never get on the air.

I think they made David Bo's son because it tied up the heir story without any strings left. It also gives more of the material David gets on most of his returns, tragicomedy. I think they keep this going with Dorian and David because they know Dorian won't be allowed any permanent love interest anyway.

• Administrator

Fantastic episode today!! I'm glad Fish/Kyle didn't get married - it would've been way too fast in an already fast storyline. I hope Nick doesn't leave. I thought the actor was decent enough to keep him around for a triangle.

It really was good. Melissa Salmons wrote the script.

I love this duo too. They have such a big contrast to each other and yet they are funny together.

Agreed!! This has been coming for months and months now and I'm glad they finally admitted their true feelings for each other.

Yeah, that ending montage was superb.

• Members

If avoidance of controversy was the reasoning for not advertising then this network has truly given up on it's lineup because they had a chance to get some real mainstream buzz with this event, which coincides with the beginning of November sweeps, and they let it pass. What a shame because they could have gone full out and tooted the upcoming 40th of AMC, this and J. Jackson's return to GH and boosted the entire lineup.

As for the "storyline" itself, ITA with your comments. My observations were solely on the production values. Having all of those extras made the event seem real to me.

As for David and Bo, I think leaving him Asa's son would have been much better if they wanted a no strings attached story. Every time David comes back to town he interact with Bo looking for approval and acceptance because he's needy and to David, Bo is a better person then he is. If they had left him Asa's son: 1. There could never be a relationship because Asa's already passed on 2. Asa makes David look like the Virgin Mary and 3. David and the Buch's never liked each other. He could have easily taken his share of the fortune and left them behind. Then they would have accomplished a no strings story perfectly tied up. Now all we get is a mess every 6 months when the always talented Mr. Watkins graces us with his presence.

• Members

I agree about the extras. I was talking more about some of the comments about the story being unrealistic, which it is, although most of the other stories on the show now are much more unrealistic (not even soap realistic).

ABC doesn't care about OLTL. If they did they would probably still not promote a gay wedding, although you'd think they might have done more in the gay press, or with GLAAD. How pathetic that GLAAD did cheerlead for the Rianca fiasco on AMC.

I think in the long run the David/Bo connection does more of what the show wants because it pushes the buttons the show likes to push with David. The Buchanans can look down on him. He can try to win them over.

• Members

I couldnt agree more.

Much love and respect to OLTL for even attempting to do something no other soap wold do. However, does it really have an impact with two newbies with no ties to the canvas? I doubt it. Not to mention it was rushed and i still dont feel like we know much about Kyle or Fish as characters let alone as a couple.

I am sure that within months they will be gone or props. Sad.

This is my other issue, where is the opposing side to this? why is it all so over the top?

• Members

Ugh I just found the tone and pace of this whole gay story leading to the wedding... weird. Off. Even stuff like having Roxie kiss Jackie Hoffman and havingher smile... I dunno I love humour on my soaps but they didn't know if they were playing this real or completely cartoon and none of it worked. I like the characters of Fish and (especially) Kyle a lot, probably more for the actors than writing, but even Kyle bein gSOOO cold to Fish all of a sudden and then on the day of the wedding being dumping his fiance (who I never even liked, but still!) and declaring his love for Fish (I am glad they didn't get married as I feared) jsut felt so random to me. it was like Carlivati wrote the broad strokes of this story but the essential stuff in between was missing for me.

• Members

I think they decided to take the risk with rewriting major history because this way they can move forward with Tea being a stronger presence in Todd's life. This can be used to further the idea that Tea is Todd's soulmate and that his family is actually her family. Having an overaged child who pouts a lot and makes smart remarks, which apparently somehow makes her a young Todd (otherwise I don't want to know what Tea means by this child being a young Todd), is a way to push their dynamic more.

I'm fine with Todd and Tea being together, but I wish the show were more secure in this great love. To have Elijah sit around with the holy headcase and tell her how great she and Todd are together, I don't see the purpose. All these characters who have every reason to be disgusted or at least apathetic about this romance of the ages seem to end up joining the flock. This relationship always seems to be more about other people telling us how great it is than about the actual relationship itself.

• Members

I think Kyle suddenly deciding to give up on Fish and make a commitment with Nick was rushed, but him suddenly deciding not to go through with it was probably one of the more well-constructed parts of the storyline for me. They did build up his anxieties for a week or two up to the wedding.

The story had a strange tone, but I think that's true for a lot of OLTL. There's always a weird tonal issue, especially in regards to comedy and camp mixed with drama. I thought it worked a little better the past few days than on some other days.

• Members

thats not a problem bc this happens all the time on soaps and thats the nature of SORASing. The biggest issue is the second point you bring up and that Jack is about 5-6 years younger than she is when he should be older. Makes even less sense since the story in which Danielle was concieved is constantly being referenced on the show and thats when Ross kidnapped Jack as a baby. That is such a huge hole in the story and I cant beleive they actually wrote that. They need to stop mentioning the kidnapping bc they keep drawing attention to the writing screw up

Archived