Y&R: Eric Braeden update

• Members

I see what you're saying, alphanguy, but if you aren't going to show Jill when the son who has brought such mixed emotions throughout her life returns from the dead after 20 years, and when she's lost all her money and is filing nails, when are you going to show her?

The Chancellors don't seem that much of a family to me. Mackenzie and Chance are only about Billy and Chloe. Katherine is a standalone character, or with Murphy. I think that, as much as I want to see more of Jill, they could have leave her town with Phillip, and a lot of viewers may not even notice.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are also using Jeanne Cooper to sell their younger characters. They did not ask her to take a pay cut, even on her last contract, and I think you are exactly right about their reasons. They know it would look like they were picking on an old lady (even though we know she can take care of herself), and since she is 81 they will keep paying her because they figure it will only be for the next couple of years. This also makes MAB happy since Katherine is obviously her favorite and the show has added many younger character tied to Katherine in the last year? Jeanne loves Greg Rikkhart and Adrienne Frantz and it just so happens that they continue to get heavy story. I don't think this is all Jeanne's doing, but I do think her advocacy for them doesn't hurt. The thing I found interesting about Jeanne was her questioning of the necessity of the Philip story. That's the first time I heard her question any story in the MAB era.

That is also why I think Jess Walton is safe. She is connected to Katherine and the mother and grandmother of Billy and Chance and although she may not get the story she deserves, I think that her connection to Katherine puts her in a safer position than other vets.

The only thing I don't agree with is that Eric Braedan's loss will give more screentime and story to underutilized vets. I think SONY has a plan and we will see more vets, over 40, written out and more characters in their teens and twenties added to the show.

• Members

I don't think his loss will give screen time to ALL underutilized vets, but I think it will give screen time to some. I think Melody is in the greatest danger, and probably Doug. But his standout performances of the last month should tell TPTB how popular he is, and what a good actor he is. And I want to clarify... the MAIN reason I feel Jess is safe, is when her negotiations were going on, a casting call went out... relatively big actresses were considered for a recast.. they did NO SUCH THING with Melody, did they? I think TPTB are keeping Jess around to essentially be Jeanne's successor.... if the show lasts that long, then I see Jess as the "Grande Dame" of the show, and since Jill is the only original character, that makes sense. But you can just SEE the suits at Sony thinking... "It worked for Days!! We got rid of Hall and Hogestyn, and pumped up Suzanne Rogers to keep the longtime viewers happy... we can do that to Y&R!" Of course.... having said that, let's also keep in mind that Suzanne Rogers is twice the actress Diedre Hall is.

• Members

When Thomas returned, Michael Logan said something to the effect of: "Melody is returning on her own terms--for now".

That implied to many that somehow she did not get a cut...but that Sony would cut her (in salary or in having a contract) as soon as practicable.

Put that together with the Victor story, and it would make sense that:

- Victor is ushered to Europe for treatment

- In, say, 20 weeks, Nikki goes to join him.

Buh-bye.

• Members

This show doesn't HAVE six months. Period. This should have been done four months ago!

The ratings(despite everyone's applause in the weekly threads) are eroding, the foundation of this show is crumbling, and by all accounts, no one from a creative or corporate level gives a damn.

If Maria loved her vets so damn much, why the hell is she crafting crappy exit stories for them, allowing SONY to lowball the actors who play them, and even on the days she has the vets available, she makes them glorified dayplayers and extras instead of giving them something real to do?

If you love vets, you do NOT allow a sexy, vibrant character like Jill to work in a f*cking Nail Salon. You do NOT send Neil, your main heroine's father, off the canvas for three months paid vacation. You do NOT allow Emmy Winner Christian LeBlanc to rot away without a story. You don't degrade the Nikki character and isolate her from her family until it's time for contract negotiations. And you definitely do NOT let Victor, the character who you've built the show around for over 30 years, just go without a clear backup plan. And I'm sorry, but Tucker is NOT a clear backup plan. It's a cheap substitute.

Maria does NOT care about vets.

Archived