Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I think a big reason (aside from the usual network/sponsor interference) why Laibson didn't work out at GL was because it wasn't his choice to leave AW.  Similarly, I think Megan McTavish came back to GL as HW with a major score to settle with ABCD, who had dumped her from AMC in the wake of the OKC/Murrah Building bombing.  In turn, I think their bitterness over their respective firings infected GL.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Does anyone know if that's a beauty shot or was it a scene from the episode?

Beauty shots are such an underrated part of the daytime soap experience. I'm sorry they didn't keep them for a longer period.

• Members

I don't remember the fantasy laden story..but I thought it would have been fun to bring Nola colorful and eccentric, rather than the lump of drab she was. They could have used her to bring back the new Michele (she picks her up on her school trip and takes her around to see all the Reardon relatives ) to explain Chile's new personality...(well the casting would have had to been better) so Ed is pissed off at her and Van ...(she was heavy into her holier then thou bore period with Matt) and it would have been fun to make mention of have her past "Well remember when you were dating Matt's uncle...no not Ed, I meant Tony..though could dating been what you called it???" And to have a past with Dinah "Oh that summer I spent with Aunt Nola and Uncle Quint in Marrakash gave me a new look.I was a bit drab before but not after Nola took me to that great lounge...and..what's the matter mother, you look like you have gas?" Her confronting Ed about Mo could have also finally put that storyline to bed with Ed admitting guilt (or something other then fish lips.)

Maybe Nola could be writing romance adventure books and decides to hang out in SF for while...(I could see her staying at the BH and being the wacky landlady with money.) etc. Anything but a sad victim of Quint screwing around. 

• Members

I remember that set lasted into the 90s... with Alan Michael/Harley living there during their brief marriage.. and then Mallet/Julie lived there in the early 90s until mid 1992.

I think Eve also lived there briefly in 1993 after she was released from the mental facility.

• Members

Nola/Buzz had something to do with Buzz falling down stairs and getting amnesia. That is all I wish to recall, I just remember it was HORRID. Unpopular opinion---I was never a fan of Nola's fantasies. As a tween I thought they were boring, as an adult they just seem like an overblown gimmick.

I can't even with Matt (or Great Value Boy Toy, as I like to call him.) I know people liked him and Vanessa, and I even understand why Vanessa had to move on from Billy. But some skank ass ex-gigolo? GROAN. 

Nola could've come back to town waving Spaulding stock in Van's face (which she'd have gotten in the divorce settlement). Having to deal with Nola constantly questioning her business decisions would've driven Van crazy. Vanessa faked being dead for a year in there, but at least it would've reestablished Nola with the viewers. Anything was better than what played out on screen.

• Members

Not that I ever doubted, but she's one of those people no one ever seems to have a bad word about. One of the few Locher room get togethers I ever bothered to check out was the Lisa Brown tribute, and it was because of Maeve. It sounded like she and Lisa had stayed in touch.