Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

@Mitch64

Liccardo, L. (2013). as the world stopped turning . . .

ASIN: BOODWHRNNU

...a February 1996 Lost Angeles Times piece seems to confirm.

And, I can also cite that article itself. It is several more sentences but in large part just a duplication of the reference to it in this book. 

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@Donna L. Bridges, thank you very much for sharing the Beverlee McKinsey interview. She was a tremendous force on the screen. In regards to the Wheeler storylines, I do wish I liked more of what I saw, but I'll keep going through those years and perhaps I'll think differently when I'm finished. 

@OpportunisticSlut, oh yes, Roger Thorpe is definitely an entertaining villain. Despite all his misdeeds, he's easy to root for. I think so much of that is thanks to the way Michael Zaslow portrayed him. There were just so many layers to Roger. He certainly had his soft spots, and I loved that vulnerable side of the character.

Annette

• Members

From a YouTube perspective the best of Beverlee is definitely shown in GL episodes. Some of TEXAS is quite good, though. And, it's not possible to say enough good about Zaslow. Here's a picture I looked & looked for. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Lucy Johnson wasn't around for most of MADD...and that is what I am referring to. MADD was brought on and guaranteed a golden parachute if she would slowly get them out of the business...death by small cuts.  P & G post MADD never looked like a company that cared about their product and keeping it going (look at your beloved AW's final episode, the charge was no flashbacks, no going to the past...so they had a gorilla.) If PG wanted to grow that particular arm of the business they were totally inept at it. 

I loved how Zaz made Roger a feral man who tamed himself somewhat and had a good man deep..deep..deep down inside. One of my fave scenes..and I think this was all Zaz...McTavish totally made tough girl Bridget into a pathetic looser, chasing after a man who didn't love her (with the clear implication she wants hot enough for him...) and jealous of skinny Dinah..who McTavish always let get the upper hand. So much so they had Bridget actually pondering plastic surgery...(poor actress..) and I thought they were going to go into a storyline about body dismorphia but no, this is McTrash. So Roger and Bridget are talking on a park bench for some reason and she has a magazine and is talking about getting work done, and the writing has Roger saying "Oh, you don't need that" as he was trying to get her to ally with him against Dart, but Zaz just had this fatherly read to the line where Roger was really saying "Really Bridget, don't ever let anyone make you feel like crap about yourself," you could just read it in his face and his tone. Small little thing but someone like RR would have played what was written on the page but Zaz gave it that twist. 

• Members

I call the AW 2-day finale the most hated in soap history. But, your analysis doesn't work. The gorilla WAS GOING TO THE PAST. It was a specific homage to the 80s when Carolyn the gorilla was in story with Cass, Felicia & Wally. Also Chris Goutman invited Beverlee McKinsey to be part of the finale. That also would have been going to the past. Beverlee declined but only for health reasons. She couldn't fly across the country at that point in time for fear of rejection of her organ transplant. (Carolyn, the gorilla, her mate, Richard, her handler Sam = The Cullitons & Sam Radcliffe. The OG gorilla was conceived & written by Sam Radcliffe, known for comedy, and Gary Tomlin.) Goutman kept saying that the show wasn't going to turn to nostalgia & then he made choices that were nothing but nostalgia.

But, I personally believe that at the time of cancelation P&G was finally exhausted with fighting FOR the show. They were not tired of going up against CBS yet & they had not begun to get out of the household domestic products business so they still needed the soaps as places to advertise product. 

Do you have anything to support your contention that MADD was hired to slowly get P&G out of the business?

• Members

It's unfortunate that so little of MZ 1971-1980 run is out there. I've accepted we'll probably never see anything prior to 1979.

Whatever is out there of Roger and Holly storylines of 1979 and 1980 are must watch because those storylines set in motion so much of what we saw 1989-1991.

Even though I never thought of Roger as an anti-hero/romantic leading man, I'd say it was the combination of MZ acting and the writing during the Potter and Calhoun eras that made Roger a complex and layered character and not just a one-dimensional villain.

• Members

It's sad to think that 'going into the past' afyer 35 years of story resulted in a gorilla.

And having Sam Groom back , but not as Russ. And extended an invitation to Beverlee knowing full well ill heath or not, she probably wouldn't accept.

• Members

I agree about the gorilla & about Sam not being Russ but I think Beverlee would have come if she could. And I have to give Goutman credit for getting it okayed & making the request. That's not a lot of credit, but it is that one bit. And, I can totally imagine how it could've been played with Iris showing up at the Cory mansion & it would have been awesome. 

And, GL fans, I'm sorry this is off-topic.

• Members

I thought that at one point, too, and I even posted that. But then I found out that P&G had no problem with it & the invitation was extended. I learned about the invitation & about her health & her inability to fly at that point which caused her to have to decline, from her son Scott who is a friend, as well as being a Director at DAYS

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
typo

• Members

ME? Have an agenda? Laughable! If anyone has an agenda, bud, it's you! And that is to get as much attention as you possibly can by stirring any pot you can find or create to stir. 

How many people follow someone like me to other sites online & proceeds to post blatant & obviously disprovable lies?! As far as I know the only one is YOU. 

Everyone else, Vee has told you & I echo, this is a common garden variety troll.