Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Unfortunately...MOL thought he was funnier than he was (and I like him.) During Rauch's time they didn't know what to do with Rick..he wasn't this "grand, passionate" character..he was a normal guy which all soaps need. So I think MOL made up for it by trying dumb schtick to get attention.

That nasty nurse was Charlotte (I forget her last name) who ends up being murdered at Cedars..with of course, Ed, Claire Mo and others being suspected. Her sister (unknown to us at the time) was an equally nasty TV reporter who did her in..(why, who knows...)  The problem was Charlotte was right, and GL, which had lost its moral grounding at this time, was making excuses for Ed (who I believe did fall off the wagon at this time, but he was FauxEd so nobody cared.) 

This was the time the played around with Fletcher and Mo..(UGGHH) before Claire became an outright psycho herself overnight. 

• Members

It took some minor googling, but of course, that's Barbara Garrick as nasty nurse Charlotte Wheaton (not to be confused with nasty Charlotte Waring, who was also killed - e.g. my repeating first names as a red flag for unpopular plots theory)

Ms Garrick looks so familiar because she went on to play the iconic Allison Perkins on OLTL, and even with age, her voice and facial features remained memorable. 

• Members

The episode where Bert's death is announced. 

I wonder how viewers at the time felt, with the focus going to an Ed who had been on the show for a year and a half and had barely interacted with Bert. Ellen Dolan tries, and RVV does as well, but these scenes should have involved characters like Meta, Hope or Mike. Even odder is this feels like a C-story in the episode. No matter how pretty John Bolger looked in eyeshadow, it's not exactly the main priority. 

• Members

Looking at the opening credits and the episode itself, there were virtually no characters that had been around longer than 3 or 4 years. I'm sure TPTB were patting themselves on the back for 'modernising' the show and ridding themselves of those older and longer term characters characters, but in reality were slowly destroying the foundation and key to viewer loyalty.

Look at Gail Kobe's reign. An invasion of new characters  and stories that captured the public's imagination and did send ratings up initially but it was all short term. A lot of those new characters lasted the length of their contracts and their replacements fared no better.

By the late 80's there was  patchwork of characters from various families and no clear direction.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

@Paul Raven I'm not really familiar with most of 1980s GL but is it safe to say that they tried a good number of the 1980s trends but got them wrong?

Dallas influence - Lewis family from Oklahoma that owns an oil company

Dynasty influence - jet setter Alexandra Spaulding divorced from wealthy European Baron Von Halkein

Supercouples - Phillip/Beth, Josh/Reva

Action/adventure - not sure what would apply here