Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

That's a great question, as I really can't recall. The first appearances of Ross from March of 1979 are on YT, of course, but I don't think any of them include an initial encounter with Mike. My instinct says that they didn't know each other *well* when Ross first came to Springfield (as opposed to when Alan Spaulding first appeared, for example, and the show established right away that Mike and Alan knew each other already). For some reason, I think Mike knew Ross by reputation only, but 43 years on the memory will cheat, of course.

I agree with you, though - I remember that Mike and Ross were certainly not best friends during 1979 and 1980!

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pam gave her characters heart. Doug showed what made these people tick. It would've been an awesome combo. 

Bridget was way too young to be used like Jessie Brewer. It was bad enough. Jessie was used in that capacity. I loved Bridget. At least she wasn't brutally murdered or character assassinated.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Well,  since Rauchy didn't think she was "hot" enough (as looking like an actress in a Skinemax flick from the 90s) she wasn't going to get anything..so having her survive as a talk to until someone with more taste came on board..(though I wish they had chemistry tested with MOL...MAYBE Bridget could light a fire under Rick..Abby was way too perfect..)  Did they ever say she and Dylan got together? I know when they brought that Friend of Babs Bloom actor on he was head over heels for Harley (yawn..) They went from CuteDylan to DopeyDylan with that recast.

Speaking of..I was watching an episode on You Tube where Nick and Mindy attempt to get married for the 8th millionth time (they really beat the Alex/Nick/Mindy thing to death, poor Marj..Bev got out in the "nick" of time) and Real Dylan is going to support Bridget in the custody battle and Alex breaks in on the wedding....Vanessa tells them both to "Get out of her house" and man...does Maeve give out the ice in those scenes! She goes from slightly frentic (she wants the wedding to go well as all this crap is hitting the family fan) to loving of Mindy, to Ice Cold BIOTCH to both Alex and Dylan..all with over acting. Maeve never really got the credit she deserved and its a shame that Van got wasted in Mattessa. Its also the JFP era where everything is off the rails but its SO much better then anything we saw since then..Ed and Bridget are fighting/talking over Eve, like real people, Henry and H.B. have a great " old man" scene smoking cigars..Vans trying to keep it together, AM is trying to get what he deserves and Gilly is backing him for her own interests, the only weak part is the Nick and Mindy and Alex part which should have been OVER by then. Sorry Jilly, compared to McLaiby, Rauch and everyone else, you werent half bad.

• Members

Thanks. I really appreciate your taking the time to think back and answer. 

I remember Vanessa as being a standout of that period, before dull Matt arrived anyway. The Bridget/Vanessa custody tangle was one of the only things keeping me interested. 

• Members

Guys I heard that there was this amazing serial killer storyline in 1995 but I can't seem to find these episodes online... Is there anyone who can help me... I would be forever thankful... I am looking for 1995 guiding light episodes. Also... for someone who hasn't watched even 1 episode... can you recommend me a period to watch. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

It was then-HW Megan McTavish's attempt at bringing Alfred Hitchcock-style psychodrama to GL.  At the time, I remember some were praising Frank Beaty's performance as Brent/Marion, but I remember feeling that, tone-wise, it was not the kind of story that belonged on GL.

• Members

Wait, you had nightmares watching "Dressed to Kill"?  Well, I guess I shouldn't be TOO harsh on you.  After all, Angie Dickinson realizing she accidentally left her panties behind at the apartment of the dude she just had a nooner with is bound to scare anyone.