Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I'd say so.  Robert Calhoun was ATWT's last, great EP, too.

He might not have raised GL's ratings significantly, but he did promote Nancy Curlee to Co-HW and helped bring GL back to being a more ensemble-driven show after it had been dominated for so long by KZ/Reva and the other Lewis/Shaynes.

IMO, as his predecessor, JFP coasted on the groundwork that he (and Curlee/Stephen Demorest) had laid.  Once that was over, the show pretty much fell apart.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

During 1996 it looked like B&B was preparing for a one hour expansion which would most likely have coincided with their 10th anniversary in March 1997 but for whatever reason that didn't happen. If CBS cancelled GL in the mid 1990s and gave half hour to B&B, what would've happened to the other half hour? Could we have gotten a 3rd Bell show and would the daytime drama block be rearranged.

• Members

Does anyone know if Maeve Kinkead wasn't fond of the way Pam Long wrote for Vanessa? Looking at her Emmy speech again, she thanked Doug Marland for creating Vanessa and Nancy Curlee for giving Vanessa "new life." 

Someone in the comments mentioned she hated the drug storyline and most of what Long wrote for her...

• Members

During these hard times, it would be such a joy and comfort if we still had our soaps and beloved characters to keep us company.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers:
None goes his way alone:
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own.

I care not what his temples or his creeds,
One thing holds firm and fast
That into his fateful heap of days and deeds
The soul of man Is cast."  

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Yep. It's so sad watching it collapse. Smart, sexy, witty ...

I still wonder how Reilly wrote for the damn show (you can see some of his touches in 1991, but the show had great writers to cover some of it up and write it better, IMO). Did he have dolls of the characters and act out scenes? How did he manage to work with folks like Curlee and Demorest? He was such a recluse. 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Reilly always fascinated me for various reasons. LOL. Good to hear! And ew at JFP. Wonder what happened with him in his later years before he passed. Did he just say "[!@#$%^&*] the interference I'm going to write batshit crazy stuff"? LOL 

As much as he dragged stories out, dumbed folks down, used plot devices ... he could at least structure a story, IMHO. Good? That's subjective, lol.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Since ATWT had their digital reunion. And according to shows former publicist they're planning a GL reunion too. 

Who would you like to see appear on screen?

My choices 

Kim Zimmer

Robert Newman 

Grant Aleksander 

Michael O'Leary

Krista Tesreau

Jordan Clarke

Maeve Kinkead 

Beth Chamberlin 

Tina Sloan

Liz Keifer

Jerry Ver dorn