Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I'm guessing Rauch wanted Zimmer/Reva to be the Lucci/Erica of GL. Sex Goddess all the men fall for her. Not even close! lol. It never worked. Early flavor Reva is SOOOO different and such a better character than Reva was in her return.

I love Josh and Reva but I always found them to be a toxic couple, lol. Even early flavor but there was just so many layers and better writing and acting. It worked. It didn't work when they randomly had Josh screaming at Reva and hating her.

All of that was JFP. It's so devastating to watch such a smart, sexy, well written show turn into ... a Phelps show. Phelps is so lucky she had Curlee for a bit but she clearly drove her away. I can't say I blame Curlee. It all fell apart though. I can't even say Jill made the show any better looking because I thought it looked fine. They really fucked up the show's momentum. It never recovered IMO. I can kinda understand why, in 1991, they'd hire Jill Phelps, but ... 

I do think P&G soaps were probably dead after Edward Trach was gone.

Not sure why CBS/P&G ever wanted to replicate the ABC and NBC soaps. Sad how all three networks had such unique soaps that stood on their own only to get muddled in the 00s and become the same as each other. 

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Also from March 1995

Wendy Moniz first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWIC-UzZTEg

Monti Sharp last episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_7Acub2lDA

Besides the big cast purge and EP/HW changes, 1995 also saw recasts (Rebecca Budig, Russell Curry, Wendy Moniz, Toby Poser, Jennifer Rozell), returns (Lisa Brown, Michael O'Leary, Kim Zimmer), and time slot changes by CBS affiliates in major media markets. I'm amazed GL made it through the rest of the 1990s after all this went down.

• Members

The show barely survived 1995 and 1996. It was nearly canceled, supposedly, in early 1995. The ratings rise in late '95 helped buy some time, but the rumors started again by fall '96 when the ratings crashed. If the Bells had wanted to expand B&B to an hour I think GL would have been canceled. It felt like they were thisclose around that time period to the B&B hour. (they were, of course, smart not to do so - I don't think it would be on today if they had)

• Members

Think it was probably more to do with interference from CBS/PGP that caused Curlee to leave. You are right in that most writers/execs have generally been fairly complementary about working with JFP. You had the quashed A-M/Gilly romance in the fall of that 1993, plus a growing insistence to emulate the ABC shows that the network would start around this time. Not to mention that Ed Trach left PGP at around the same time that Curlee left. Ken Fitts would eventually cause havoc with all three shows. 

• Members

The credits were such a mess in 1994 post-Curlee - they went through so many HW's for at least a year after that. I noticed that Patrick Mulcahey is listed as the sole HW in the episode immediately after Curlee's last. 

Mulcahey's Tweeted a bit about how it wasn't fun working on the show post-Curlee and the corporate interference that happened during his brief HW stint (which, in Curlee's case, drove her away forever).

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Gonna just be nice and say ok. Thanks for the information. I can see why folks have issues with you

Please register in order to view this content

it's not what you say, but how you say it. Again, thanks for clarifying  I clearly believed what I thought so .... oh well. It happens. She was driven away by interference. I assumed it was Jill. Show me the receipts it wasn't.

Edited by KMan101