Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I remember that scene with Ed and Carmen - it was 1997 when Gentry was back in the role, correct? I could actually see Ed being a patriarch with Gentry in the role. Gentry gave Ed some "bite" and made it believable.

I'm also not criticizing Pam Long as a writer. A lot of characters came "alive" again under her pen (some of whom were long standing vets). However, things like the "Dreaming Death", Branding Spaulding's alive, etc., were tough to live down.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No..it was Simon in the 2000s. Why didn't Gentry last?

LOL..I loved the Dreaming Death..but I was a kid at the time. Brandon not so much but I did like the Cabin Mystery up to a point and the doll and the "ghosts," were only seen by Annabelle and were more like flashbacks to the past. Ms. Piper was a more of a camp then the actual house and ghosts. Her ridiculous schemes and poison and tying Annabelle up over a hot stove..YIKES. Would have been more fun if snoopy Nola had been the one with the storyline and they could have just killed Quint at the end (I know the Qualos would've rioted but he had no where to go as a long term character...) and had Nola inherit tons of Spaulding stock to be a thorn in the side of Alex.

• Members

My issue with the Reardons wasn't Long, per se - I don't love Marland's writing for them either. I actually don't care for his Tony at all, and Bea seems like she would be living next door to Maw Green and Little Orphan Annie during the Depression-era strips. I think he does a good job with Nola (although the transition from bitch to comedic heroine isn't very smooth), and Maureen, but they just don't seem like a family to me.

I haven't watch as many of Long's full episodes, so maybe that changed, but nothing about them clicks as a family for me.

• Members

A large portion of a blackout episode. This is already on Youtube, but most in clip form, so you may enjoy seeing it all put together. It starts at around 30 minutes, or a little later. Many good scenes, although my favorite is probably Jenna's fairy tale, or the Maureen/Roger scenes, or, of course, Blake/Ross.

I'm reminded of how much I wanted to punch Lujack/Nick's father in the face.

Today's soaps would have had Julie and Dylan screw in the elevator.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Aww. I loved the Jenna and Michelle scenes. I still hate that they killed Jenna all those years later. She was the only thing that made me care for Buzz at all. After she died, Buzz could've followed.

Roger and Maureen scenes were good too. I loved GL as a child at this time and even more now as an adult. I loved that despite Roger being a pariah, he still had Maureen in his corner somewhat. I loved that she always saw some good in him.

I'm guessing this is when Holly finds Ross and Blake in bed, the following morning. Doesn't Liz Keifer debut shortly after this? I loved the Bloss story. Especially when Holly became spiteful and printed those pics of Ross and Blake in flagrante delicto.

Was this around the time Ed and Lillian had their affair?

• Members

Sorry, Mitch - you are right, it was Simon, not Gentry.

I also agree about the DD storyline - Nola should have been the one who saw the "ghosts". That was more in character for her and less for Annabelle.

I never saw Quint as much of a long-term character, either. Nola versus Alexandra - now that would have been fun to watch.

Corrent. This is one of the last GL "events" that I truly enjoyed watching, because it really jump-started some very interesting storylines (Ed/Lillian, Blake/Ross, etc.).

• Members

The only scenes they had together was during Bev's time off for her husband's death. Alex is trying to con the Chambelin's into selling their stock...(which was revised time and time again...) and giving them below what it was worth. That goofy computer kid figured it out and ran programs and Nola presented them to everyone's astonishment. I would have loved to see Bev and Brown together and Bev rolling her eyes at Nola but then becoming friends, much to Van's annoyance.