The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah, Bob was all about Dian. I say poor Janice because her first husband was a mountain climber who disappeared in the Alps in the 70s...a year before they introduced the Cliff Hangers game. Legend has it that for at least 10 years, after every playing of Cliff Hangers, Janice would go backstage and cry.

• Members

Apparently, Ludia and Ubisoft(the same video game developers that produced Wii editions of The Price is Right, Family Feud, and Press Your Luck) are also releasing Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Hollywood Squares later this year.

http://www.ludia.com

LUDIA TO CREATE VIDEO GAME BASED ON DISNEY-ABC DOMESTIC TELEVISION'S HIT TV GAME SHOW 'WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE'

MONTREAL, CANADA July 06, 2010 - Interactive entertainment company Ludia Inc. announced today that they will create a video game based on Disney-ABC Domestic Television's popular Who Wants To Be A Millionaire TV game show. With the North America-wide exclusive deal, the Millionaire video game will be available across major console platforms and PC/Mac.

"Who Wants To Be A Millionaire continues to be one of the most successful TV game shows, and we are thrilled to create games that will enable fans of the show to experience the legendary 'hot seat' like never before," said Alex Thabet, Founder and CEO of Ludia Inc. "This deal serves to further solidify Ludia’s leadership in the game show video game category, which is proving to be a highly successful area for us across platforms."

The Who Wants To Be A Millionaire video game will feature elements from the television show as players try to win a simulated $1,000,000 by correctly answering 15 multiple choice trivia questions, each worth increasing amounts of money. Players can seek help for the stumper questions via lifelines like "Ask the Audience", "Double Dip" or "Phone a Friend." Additionally, the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire video game will incorporate thousands of questions, connected gaming elements, single and multiplayer game modes, as well as reward systems to fuel the competitive fun between players.

The initial release of the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire video game is slated for Q3 2010.

• Members

They should have stayed true to Ask the Expert and brought on brainiac scientists to answer the questions, since Phone-A-Friend was eliminated from the show in January.

In previous video game versions of Millionaire(at least for the PC), they randomly polled 100 people and that's how the data was given for Ask the Audience.

I don't think they'll be doing Fastest fingers, which is depressing. The WiiMote would be the perfect device to do utilize a Fastest Finger element.

I hope the question bank is vast enough to where I won't run into the same question after playing for 15 minutes.

I'm more stoked about Double Dip as a lifeline...I love the cue for it and Double Dip adds an element or level of excitement to the show. The clock is also awesome too.

I'm just glad that Ludia is interested in the niche market of gameshows for the Wii and multiple platforms. Not since the Super Nintendo era has there been so much attention and interest in video game development for the game show audience. And it's a very easy sell. I predict Wheel and Jeopardy!(developed by THQ) will do very very well during the holiday season. I'm glad I finally broke down and bought a Wii.

• Members

In case anyone is interested, here's a writeup on Tattletales from the 3/77 SOD. There's also an interview with Bert Convy if anyone is interested in that.

A BIT ABOUT THE SHOW...

Take one studio audience, divide them into sections (red, blue, and banana), then add to this: three celebrities and their mates; one boyishly handsome host; some mildly spicy questions and you've got the fixin's for "Tattletales," CBS' very popular afternoon game show.

Taped in California and hosted by the tall, hazel-eyed Bert Convy, "Tattletales" is a chance to see your favorite celebrities (along with their mates) hanging loose and immensely enjoying themselves as they answer some slightly racy questions. The object of the game is to see how well they know their mate...and how well their mate knows them - will they both give the same answers? Surprisingly enough, in most cases, it's more often the unmarried than the married who give the same responses (not all couples who appear on "Tattletales" are married, there's quite a liberal sprinkling of couples who are just good friends. ).

During the first half of the show, the husbands are asked the questions, and the wives are seated backstage and given headphones so they are unable to hear what is happening on camera. The second half of the show it's the wive's turn and their husbands are then sequestered backstage.

It's now time for the moment of truth. Bert has posed the question and all the answers have been filed. The mate is now brought back on camera and asked the very same question. If their responses match, they get teh points. At the end of the show, the couple with the most points wins - and the section of the audience they head (either red, blue, or banana) walks away with a small pile of dough.

"Tattletales" is good, clean, gossipy fun. Its drawing power is not flashing lights, loud bells and big bucks: it's people and "that wonderful way" they get along.

(There are photos of Bill Macy and his wife Samantha Harper Macy, John Astin and Patty Duke Astin, and Shields and Yarnell, all in headphones)

• Members
I think I disagree with you this one...

Lifelines should be used sparingly. Some people on Millionaire use lifelines when they KNOW they know the answer and it's just 10% of doubt creeping into their head.

I think they should still lose the lifeline. :)

Also, they need better EXPERTS in the Ask the Expert element. I'm sorry, Alexandra Wentworth is NOT A FCKING EXPERT. She's a dumbass. Bye!

• Members

I remember watching Tattletales on Game Show Network before the whole thing went to hell. Was a fun concept from what I remember. I forgot that they were individually interviewed each segment and then the final moment of truth at the end. Is this the way The Newlywed Game worked also?

Archived