The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Members

And furthermore..... the only thing wrong with the previous version was the idea of a "tournament" for the million dollars. It was too tedious in the 80's and too tedious today. If it was a 60 mintue game show, all they had to do was have you try for 10,000 in the first round, 25,000 in the second round, 50,000 in the third, and if you were lucky enough to win all four of the rounds in that show, you got try for the million. Simple. Easy.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's wrong with Tourneys? They build suspense, if you're a loyal viewer and you have your fave contestants, you hope to see them return for that event.

Plus, TV shows can only give out one prize a year. LOL.

What's wrong with Tourneys? They build suspense, if you're a loyal viewer and you have your fave contestants, you hope to see them return for that event.

Plus, TV shows can only give out one big prize a year. LOL.

Not sure, but I know he's an Consultant for the new LMAD.

• Members

What I find funny about Downfall--I only finally caught it, is they point out over and over that what's being tossed off the roof are facsimiles. I assume this is due to the worry people would complain that they're wrecking real stuff people could use. But if none of it is real... doesn't it kinda ruin the point?

• Members

Yeah, people complain that it's silly for them to throw things off the roof in these "tough economic times." It's painfully obvious that all of the stuff is fake, though, because...come on...that's a long drop, but some of those things wouldn't break so easily.

Really, if I were TPTB, I'd let people think the stuff was real. And if they wasted their time complaining about it, they'd be rewarded with a big fat FAIL.

• Members

Breaking News per BuzzerBlog: Rich Fields FIRED! For Improv Comic?!

Price is Right can't get any worse than it has already...

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/statement-from-rich-fields-regarding-the-price-is-right/

Statement from Rich Fields Regarding “The Price is Right”

Yesterday it was officially confirmed that Rich Fields is no longer the announcer for The Price is Right when it begins its 39th season. The outcry from fans here has definitely been heard and it is appreciated. Rich sent me an email a bit ago with a statement regarding the decision (it was just made public on his site as well). It also puts a lot of rumors regarding the decision to rest. You can read it after the break. We can’t wish Rich enough luck in all his future endeavors.

A NOTE TO FRIENDS AND FANS

I am now able to confirm to you that I will NOT be returning to The Price is Right for season 39.

I have been given the “OK” from the show’s executive producer Mike Richards and Fremantle executive Jen Mullen to inform you as to their plans for my now vacated position.

Mike and Jen have told me that they will be holding on-air auditions to fill the announcer position with… an improv comic. Yep, you heard right.

Mike explained to me that he loves having the “house bands” and “live performers” all the time on TPIR and that he hopes to make it more of a “variety show within a game show”. He believes that having a comedian at the announcer’s position from now on will enhance this new change in direction.

I wish them the best of luck with season 39 and beyond. I really do. I don’t want Drew’s new “love” to go sour for any reason. Hosting that show brings Drew (and many other people) a lot of joy.

Let me also cut down on internet speculation by saying that Drew Carey had nothing to do with this “change in direction”. Drew has been my biggest champion. He and I will remain friends forever regardless of what happens to The Price is Right.

I want to publicly thank Drew for all of his support for me. Drew is a dear friend, like a brother, and has helped me in more ways than you’ll ever know. He is one of the only people here in Hollywood that has never B.S.’d me about anything.

I want to thank Mr. Barker for making my life-long dream come true in the first place. I had a great run. Thank you, Bob. I am thrilled that you like the Grand Patron tequila. Cheers!

I would also like to thank you for being such a “loyal friend and true”. I have really appreciated all of your kind words and well wishes thoughout my tenure at TPIR. I will miss “America’s favorite family game show”. I gave it my heart and soul every day, I hope you know that.

However, bigger and better things are still to come for me. There are projects in the works for me now that I will be able to divulge the details to very soon. In the meantime, I have accepted a position as the staff meteorologist at CBS flagship stations KCBS and KCAL here in Los Angeles. You can watch me world-wide on the internet at: http://cbs2.com/search?searchstring=rich+fields&tabid=0

Many more details from me later… that I promise.

Rich Fields

• Members

Aw, poor Rich. It really was his dream to be the announcer for TPIR, and he did a decent job. Crotchety people who are still bitter at Johnny and Rod for dying always found nitpicks with him, and no, he wasn't the best, but he did a decent job, kept the show's energy up, and his joy was always evident in his voice. I wish him good luck.

I swear, I've watched the show so little since Bob's retirement. I was excited to see how it would feel without Bob, was let down, and then I thought Drew would improve and find his own style. Then I realized dull, bored, and annoyed is his style. Ugh. These new changes to a "variety show within a game show" format sound pretty awful. I'll stick to watching Bob episodes on YT.

I know the folks at Golden Road are probably having a fit. Well, half of them are having a fit and the other half is falling over themselves trying to defend the show.

• Members

If hosting the show brings Drew any love I've never seen it oncamera. Of all the changes to make to that show is the announcer the biggest concern?

Why do they need an "improv comic" anyway? That's not an announcer's job.

• Members
+1. The similarities between TPIR fans and soap fans are astounding.

I don't wanna say that is the biggest concern to fans...alot of people are upset because this is a rolling shitstorm created by Mike Richards continued and blatant disregard for the TPIR brand. Examples: Retiring games like Penny Ante or Joker because he felt they were too dated or because Drew couldn't understand how they were played, firing longtime producers and directors like Roger Dobkowitz(who had been there since the 70's, IIRC), and the cherry on top is that this variety show thing they are setting up will likely do the exact thing that people fear: eliminate two or more pricing games for more "Drew" time.

I'm surprised Bloom and Margot Wain will allow this, knowing how much ratings have dipped for this show.

• Members

I meant why is this a major concern for the show?

And why is CBS so disinterested in the show's quality and ratings slide? Doesn't TPIR make money for them? Is TPIR another show they consider a dinosaur and want to replace?

• Members
I get what you mean now...

Yeah...I think they wanted to replace Rich Fields to make the show more hip and young. I think their only concern was cutting someone who didn't fit that vision.

They've been experimenting with this format for awhile now. Rich Fields asking the contestants: "Do you like to sleep?" Contestant: YES YES YES YES! "How about a NEW BEDROOM GROUP!?" :rolleyes:

You never know...maybe they want to make TPIR more cost-effective and the only way to do that is to cut games that give away cash/prizes and do more stunts.

This is gonna backfire on them BIGTIME.

Archived