The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh. I dunno how I feel about that dude. I guess we'll see. tryin' to think of who I'd pick. Wayne was good, a close friend of mine was even a contestant :P but when you're a singing host they always have to work in those cheesy duets and whatnot. Like, Rosie would be fun but you just know it would kill her to not be able to sing along and give hints.

I happen to be a huge Deal or No Deal fan, anyone else?

• Members

I hate how the news on Fox and CW/MyNetwork has eaten up more and more broadcast time, there's just no space anymore for game shows and kids' programming like back in the day. I liked when Family Feud and later What's My Line used to come on in the evenings. Too young to have experienced Match Game PM, butI know I would have loved that too.

• Members

Deal or no Deal was fun. I hate that NBC/Uni is giving up on the show's syndicated run. I would have loved to see them try to offset some of the costs with actual prizes in some of the suitcases and in the deals instead of just cash amounts. Like instead of the $25K suitcase, get a car that is of the same value to stick in there.

Local stations sell more ad time with local news programming. Even more ad time than syndicated shows.

• Members

Interesting, I didn't know that. And I love your idea about putting various prizes in the boxes instead of money! But wait :unsure: ... break it to me easy. Is the syndicated Deal or No Deal canceled? OMG! What am I going to watch instead of General Hospital and Dr. Oz!? Oh no! I really looked forward to that show. :(

• Members
Yep. NBC/Uni canceled the show.

One of my favorite Deal or no Deal moments was when this female contestant on her first offer asked the banker, "Are you single?" and Howie reported back, "Not. For. You." LOL.

Howie Mandel is hot.

• Members

I am heartbroken. :( See, I can get past Howie, actually, on this show I think he is at his least annoying. I just had so much fun I guess living vicariously through these contestants, I was genuinely happy for them when they did well and I often wondered if I could face the world if I ever royally [!@#$%^&*] up like some of them do. Does the show still come on in primetime?

• Members

I always tend to laugh at the contestants who are trying to get the big money on 'Lets Make A Deal'. It's sooo freakin' HILAAARIOUS! And I'm always laughing my ass off when they open up the briefcase and it's $25 or something. :lol:

• Members

I wish the directing on Millionaire was better. I don't know if it's the lack of cameras or what, but I just feel like everything is so stationary or stagnant and when they try to do something different, it looks bad. Today, when the guy won 100K, there was an overhead shot that just kind of panned down, but none of it flowed smoothly.

The directing during the ABC Millionaire specials was good. They used multiple cameras and really captured the drama of the game.

• Members

If this doesn't sound like a "done deal" for Pyramid, I don't know what the f*ck is?! The Conan O'Brien Hype, the possibility of more celebrities, cross promotion with the new talkshow on CBS, demo familiar and friendly...two half hours of Pyramid please!

Andy Richter wrapping deal to host new version of `Pyramid' for CBS

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/05/andy-richter-wrapping-deal-to-host-new-version-of-pyramid-for-cbs.html

Conan O'Brien's not the only one with a new gig.

Andy Richter, O'Brien's long time sidekick, who has also tried his luck at sitcoms, is looking to add a daytime job to his resume. He is sealing a deal to become host of the latest remake of the game show "Pyramid," which Sony Pictures Television and Michael Davies' Embassy Row production company is developing for CBS and that Davies is on board to produce.

Landing the right host has been a big challenge for Sony and Davies. Last year, there were two pilots made, one with Dean Cain as host, the other with Tim Vincent, and neither got off the ground. An effort to land Howie Mandel fell short. Brad Garrett, familiar to CBS viewers from his years on "Everybody Loves Raymond" was also briefly considered as host.

If "Pyramid" gets picked up, Richter will be very busy since he is also going back to work for O'Brien on the TBS late night show that premieres in November. Perhaps, to borrow from his short-lived Fox sitcom, Andy Richter really will control the universe.

"Pyramid" will face heavy competition to get on CBS's daytime television schedule. Although the network has some holes because of the cancellation of the soap opera "As the World Turns," it also has a daytime chat show in development featuring "Big Brother" and "Early Show" host Julie Chen, who happens to be the wife of CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves. The network also is working on a show for daytime with chef Emeril Lagasse.

-- Joe Flint

• Members

Hm. I like Andy, he has not had the best of luck striking out on his own. I don't know if that's because we've been trained to associate him with Conan or if he just isn't best suited as the frontman. Like giving Boo Boo his own show. Honestly, I immediately thought of Louie Anderson hosting Family Feud, but Andy is less suicidal more chipper than that and I could see him matching Dick Clark's likeable, understated energy. The thing is, we've got all these comedians hosting game shows these days and that's just not the same as being a game show host, they used to be a breed of their own. And they worked for a reason. They were charming presenters who weren't uncomfortable not making it all about them, they didn't try to shoehorn their own comedy into the show, they knew the contestants were the stars. But having sat on that couch with Conan, I think Andy is perhaps better suited than most for that kind of thing.

And a big NO to Brad Garrett. :rolleyes:

Archived