The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Members

I'd take a Password (only if it was of the P+/SP variety -- not just people guessing random words back and forth), but I really want Pyramid. Watch, though, just watch and see, they'll shoot a new pilot that's nowhere near as good as the one from last year, and they'll pick it up and it'll suck.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And hire Louie Anderson as a host. :rolleyes:

I'd love to see the old Password format again. I like the celebrity/regular person format but even doing away with that the show could still work, with the right production values and host.

• Members

So much to reply to. Thanks for the info Sylph and CarlD2.

Duel was so damn good. Edge of your seat television, loved the "You've been pressed" element of the game and the poker chips as right answers.

I preferred the tournament version of the game. ABC gutted everything good about Duel when they brought it back during the summer of '08.

I wish they would have came out with a board game or Wii game of some kind for the show.

Regis is awful. I thought he was okay during the first run of Millionaire and Super Millionaire, but his inability to keep the game moving when he returned last summer drove me up the [!@#$%^&*] wall. I could tell he hated the Millionaire clock, but for God's sake.

I hope not. I hope they just kept the same set and everything. I do not want ridiculous video walls and that tacky futuristic set from the 2002 Revival. I'd love it if Pyramid replaced ATWT because I could watch AMC then switch to Pyramid, then switch to GH.

WRRRRRRRGNNNNNNNTRPLLLLLLTHEPOINTZZZZZ.

Louie Anderson is a fail.

CBS will go for Ryan Stiles or Deidrick Bader. Making Drew Carey/Whose Line happen in daytime.

• Members

I think that Steve Harvey is going to be hit hosting Family Feud. He has a great public personality and infectious laugh.

It always looked like Dawson was trying to slip in some tongue. Ick. I bet he was guilty of sexually harassing women behind the scenes. It was obvious that he was a lech.

• Members
He's filling in for Meredith Vieira on Millionaire one of these weeks, according to BuzzerBlog. It will be interesting to see if he does well hosting the show.

I always liked Dawson, especially as a Match Game Panelist.

You know, I would actually immensely enjoy that. I mean, I really would.

Good game shows of course. Not this imported FREEmantle bullsh!t. But good game shows. I'd take those over most of the soaps we have on the air today.

• Members

Me too, really. And besides, if the network daytime game show can make a comeback, then maybe the network daytime soap opera one day -- though games have the advantage of never really disappearing (hopefully soaps won't either).

I just want a new Split Second. Surely, somebody out there has to remember the format and realize that it can work today.

In other news, I see GSN has changed their schedule around again. So basically, there's only four hours of classic, pre-00s material a day (Combs Feud, Perry Sharks, Eubanks Sharks, two MG74s, two Pyramids, and Dawson Feud). Tsk tsk tsk. I guess since they have the modern versions of so many of the old school shows, they can say they show those shows but really don't. Bergeron's Squares instead of Marshall's, Newton's PYL instead of Tomarken's, Lane's Chain Reaction instead of Cullen's, Carnie's Newlyweds instead of Bob's. They don't even have the late night stuff anymore. Blah. Thank god for YouTube.

• Members
+1 You know, he composed Wheel of Fortune's original theme song. I much prefer it to the dinner music "Changing Keys" that Merv Griffin foisted upon the show when it entered syndication.

Soaps will never completely disappear, but I don't know why people are so hard on them getting replaced for game shows. At least the daypart isn't completely being wiped out for syndicated/network talk shows and court shows(I hope someone at CBS kills Valerie Bertinelli's project, BTW. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz).

I'm glad I got to see GSN in it's heydey. Tattletales, Child's Play, Original Card Sharks, etc. Gotta love the loser who thought they could get better ratings with all day Texas Hold Em. :blink:

Have they completely yanked 90's Wheel/Jeopardy from their lineup? The fails on Wheel that people post on YouTube from the reruns are so good(I.E. "Pris-ti-nelley").

• Members

KICK ASS game show theme. Up there with the Password All-Stars theme.

I got GSN in 2000, and even though it was right after they lost TPIR, there still all kinds of goodies. It's hard to think primetime used to be based squarely on the 70s versions of MG, Feud, and Newlywed Game. I miss Win Lose or Draw, Blockbusters, Body Language, Tattletales (though I prefer the early, early episodes before it became the Celebrity Newlywed Game), Ruckus, The New Treasure Hunt, original Password, the 70s versions of WML? and TTTT, which were so laid back and low key, Tic Tac Dough, The Joker's Wild, original NY-based Pyramid, The $1.98 Beauty Show, the delicious trash known as 3's a Crowd, and so on and so on. So many great games, and again, thank god for YouTube. You can find at least one episode of just about anything.

And yeah, Wheel and J! are gone completely. That four hour block is the *only* pre-00s stuff now (besides early Millionaire and Squares).

• Members
I wonder how that will affect their ratings?! Alot of people loved classic Wheel/Jeopardy!. It's one of those gameshows that still holds up well. And Wheel/Jeopardy were much more challenging back then than they are now. A smart Wheel player that doesn't let the contestant coordinators manipulate him/her could easily sweep the whole damn show because the show's gimmicks are so apparent. Alot of the puzzles have to do with the theme for the week or something that SONY is pimping. And Jeopardy! is a bloody joke.

Also, glad you mentioned To Tell the Truth. A friend of mine was like, "Alex Trebek was hosting some fake gameshow that had to do with cable providers" and I was like, "Uh, TTTT was a real game show. And I told him, 'Remember the Eminem song The Real Slim Shady?" And proceeded to tell him about the show and "Will the real...please stand up."

I also told said friend that the recent revival was good EXCEPT for Paula Pillpopping Poundstone. :angry::angry::angry: If I saw that bitch on the street, I'd smack her in the face for her complete and utter idiocy on that show. She never asked questions to the panel that were remotely relevant to revealing one's true identity.

Another Pearson/FREEmantle fail. :rolleyes:

Archived