The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. They seem to be ashamed of the game show format and think they need someone to be distant or make a joke out of the whole thing.

Andy has to be better than Louie Anderson or Drew Carey, but that's not saying much.

• Members

I've long been against comedians as game show hosts. Actors, yes. Singers, yes. Comedians, no. It becomes all about them and their comedy, and it's nothing new. When Steve Allen took over IGAS in 1964, it almost became a variety show with him as the ringleader.

I don't know much about Andy. I didn't watch any of his sitcoms, and I don't do the whole late night talk show thing, so I'll give him a chance. Not getting my hopes up, though.

• Members

I know licensing could potentially be a nightmare, but I think a gameshow variety hour could be cool, like have contestants play three rounds... Match Game, Win, Lose or Draw and Password. A really fun, fast program with three rounds a la Family Feud where the loser could suddenly sweep round three. When they had those retro game show nights last summer I think that was kind of the way to go, it was like a cross between a game show and a variety show, no chance to be bored.

I know there used to be the Match Game/Hollywood Squares hour, I think that kind of worked like what I described.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

He definitely had his moments, but going back to Comic View on BET in the early '90s, DL has always gotten on my nerves a bit. That smirky laugh he does after his own jokes. I don't think hosting (nor acting for that matter) is his forte, he is best as a standup. I think that guy who hosts Dirty Jobs for example is the type of personality who makes for a good gameshow host. A lot of hosts on those quirky cable how-to shows and such fit the bill better than a bunch of these comedians.

ETA: So, you'll notice that I wrote the word "forte" in my post. Well, after that, at the top of my page I got an ad for the Kia Forte. That's fucked up. Refreshed the page, an ad for Deal or No Deal. Big Brother is watching, geesh...

• Members
LOL. I loved The Hughleys until ABC stepped in and told him to make it into Family Matters 2.0.

OTOH, why not bring back To Tell The Truth?! FREEmantle owns the rights to the show and that show is a helluvalot more interesting as a truth/lie panel show than some of these silly concepts. Probably cheaper too.

Was DL a ComicView winner?! LOL. Didn't know that at all. I really wish BET would bring ComicView back.

• Members

I like DL Hughley, I'm interested to see how he'd do as host of a game show. Part of me is excited because it's about damn time they started getting black people to host these shows. If soaps have taken a snail's pace at diversifying their industry, then game shows are taking the pace of a super duper morbidly obese snail. Very black men have hosted mainstream, popular game shows (and honestly, the only two that are jumping at me right now are Wayne with LMAD and Lynn Swan's turn at hosting TTTT in '90...oh, and Al Roker hosting the Celebrity Feud specials from a few years ago). And as for black women hosting game shows? Hell, I can't think of a one.

You know who needs to stay away from game shows even though I've yet to watch his hosting? Guy fuckin Fieri. The most annoying person to ever come out of Food Network, and that is saying a LOT.

PS: ComicView! My god. I haven't thought about that show in YEARS. I loved the old DL/Cedric/Don DC Curry/etc days, but Rickey Smiley and Bruce Bruce had it going on too.

• Members

AMS, Shaun Robinson pinch hit for Meredith on Millionaire the other week, she was good for that kind of show. I think Niecey Nash could do well with something like Family Feud or The Dating Game, she and Wanda Sykes would also be good panelists on a late night raunchy Match Game PM. I love Wanda but her comedic timing doesn't really lend itself to hosting, I mean, I could kind of see her hosting something like To Tell the Truth but her "funny" would be wasted. (I liked the John O'Hurley/Meshach Taylor/Paula Poundstone version that aired a while back, btw). Sherri Shepherd, again, a panelist, not a host, and why could I see her getting nervous and fumbling the questions and messing up people's points? :rolleyes: Speaking of which, do you remember how Louie Anderson would always mess up reading the questions in Fast Money and tell the judges to add more seconds because he messed up? :lol: Oh poor Louie...

• Members

I had Family Feud on my Super Nintendo which I loved, but some of my friends found it annoying to play because you had to type in your answers using the controller which was admittedly tedious and killed the fun rapid fire pace of the game on TV. We have it on the computer now and it's a lot more fun with a full keyboard.

Archived