Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

These have been up a number of times now (I've repuloaded them myself several times and I imagine I will again in future...), but if they are new to anyone I hope you enjoy them. There's a lot of Sherry Mathis, for her fans here. 

• Members

OMG. Thank you for all these clips! 

There is just something so whimsical, magical about Sherry Mathis/Liza. I so wish that episodes from the height of Liza/Travis would emerge. I've read synopsis on them, and their story sounds like a joy to watch. 

Reading up on the show, I never understood why SFT got the heat that it got. Even towards the end. I find the episodes more endearing than anything on air from the last ten years. 

• Members

From the little I've seen of 1981 or so (which is when the bottom fell out) it's not very good, but a lot of it is watchable from other years in that period. The NBC stuff seems a bit dry, but certainly watchable, and probably on the whole better than some of what was on display on other soaps around that point (I don't think 1984 was a vintage year for most outside of NBC maybe). 

P&G not caring and the malice of Brian Frons (who canceled the show twice!) were what did it in.

I agree that there was something magical about Sherry Mathis. She must be one of the most popular recasts ever, and one whose work holds up well. She would have been a movie star in the old days. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Why was 1981 such a bad year for the show? 

I know '84 was probably not so well with old SFT fans b/c the McClearys ate the show, but I do find them all appealing characters, who weren't grating. At least they were ingeniously tied to legacy characters (Cagney with Suzy, Quinn with Sarah & Wendy, Hogan with Sunny & Liza). 

• Members

Those scenes between Liza and Nick are a bit bizarre to watch, because a week after they were filmed Sherry Mathis and Jerry Lanning were wed in her hometown of Memphis. (This was in the summer of 1979.) During some of those scenes, Jerry got a little too into his role as villain and choked his real-life future bride so hard she started to turn blue!! (This according to Gerry Waggett's book, The Soap Opera Book of Lists).

• Members

Always surprised that Megan Bagot and Laine were dropped, never to return. She was an interesting character, tied to Sunny and Ted and Gary and his family.I thought the actress was fine.

The Corringtons created her,seemingly with long term potential, but something happened along the way...

• Members

I haven't seen most of it (the most I remember seeing is that really bad clip where Peter Burnell tries to rape Sunny), but it was the show where supposedly during the writers' strike a fired actor took over as head writer and just made a mess. I think @saynotoursoap gave some detailed posts about these problems many pages ago, or maybe someone else did. This was a time period when they did things like have Stu's wife Ellie disappear one day and have him say that she'd run off with the hotel cook.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The problem was it came out of nowhere, with no build up, with no rational sense.

Imagine one day you are watching Olivia Walton at home with her and family; cooking, cleaning, laughing, and being the loving wife and mother she's always been. Then in the next episode, John-Boy announces that she's run off with a clown from a traveling circus, whom she's supposedly been having an affair with for years. That's the last we ever see or hear from her. It would be like, "WTF?!?" It was totally out of character, totally stupid, and came across as a slap in the face to the audience from a "writer" who just did not give a f*ck, and who thought destroying a show's core for fun was hilarious. It made a lot of viewers angry.

Actually, she was on the show for 13 years, from 1968 to 1981, and as you say, there was nothing in her behavior or attitude that suggested she would ever do such a thing, or even consider leaving Stu. Bad, incompetent, callous writing.

Please register in order to view this content