Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

I get that. I just took as fans were repulsed by the action as if no one would it. People do it all the time. I do agree that the writers not building up to it was stupid and amateur; however, I still don't see how it'd make me stop watching. Again, maybe this is because I've seen soaps turn into absolute sh-t in the past ten years, so something like that wouldn't bother me. If I grew up during that time, I might've thrown a fit too. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks. For some reason I thought she only came in after Melba Rae died. 

Since you're here now could you give a recap of some of the 1981 stories? I know that there was something about Sunny going blind in the jungle or having a tumor, and I don't know what else.

• Members

I think this was just one of many bad, infuriating decisions made by incompetent PTB that turned fans off.

Now, all the soaps are in the toilet, but way back then, there were still viable alternatives, so when one soap tanked, viewers could still find something better to watch.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Wasn't the Rusty Sentell is alive/Tokyo arc around that time too? I've heard many say that they hated that arc too, while I enjoyed it when I read it. Wasn't it Suzy that went blind in the jungle w/ Warren & Brian? 

I just wish someone would post clips of Search from that time! I just wanna see it! 

Please register in order to view this content

I hate that P&G won't sell their library to someone.

Understandable. However, from reading synopsis around that time, I just don't see what was so bad. 

• Members

Melba Rae (I loved her!) died in 1971, and Billie Lou Watt joined the show in 1968, although of course not as a love interest for Stu.

SFT had enjoyed strong ratings in the 1970s under writers like Ann Marcus (who was awful on some other soaps but well-suited for SEARCH). In 1974-5, the show had a 9.4 (!!!) rating and was very entertaining. By 1981, however, it had plummeted to a dreadful 3.4. We had had to endure terrible writers like Tex and Irving Elman, Robert J. Shaw, the Corringtons, Linda Grover, Don Chastian, etc., and the audience just could not sit through their horrid material.

My memory is fuzzy about the plots that were playing out in 1981, specifically, because the awfulness of the late 1970s and early 1980s all runs together in my mind. Pointless newbies like Sylvie Descartes, Zack Anders, Garth and Max Taper, etc., came and went very quickly, without much fanfare at the time. Those were not good years for our beloved show.

Decades of watching soaps has taught me that what may look good (or at least decent) on paper, can be completely destroyed by incompetent execution.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Thanks. What did you think of the material in the clips I posted? 

I remember reading about the "three-tier structure" the show had in the mid '70s (Schemering's book mentioned this), around the time of Kathy's abortion, which sounded interesting to me, although that review in Daytime TV Stars trashed it. 

• Members

Actually...like with edge of Night...Procter and gamble cancelled SFT..NBC had wanted to pick it up for another year or two..

I thought the Corringtons gave SFT their last stable and decent period in the late 70s?

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

From what I understand, though, CBS got rid of SFT, because P&G wanted the network to return the show to its former timeslot, even though SEARCH's ratings were improving in the new, later slot.

IMO, SEARCH would have left the airwaves sooner or later, if only because I question whether the show would have withstood losing Larry Haines and Mary Stuart.  (Hey, I loved Jo and Stu, but they weren't going to live forever.)  But I DO think the move to NBC, caused by P&G's obstinence, hastened its demise by many years.

Edited by Khan