Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, I watched the show during the Scott/Kathy period, and the actors had great on-screen chemistry. When the writing was good, the characters were quite engaging. I have a special SFT-themed magazine which included interviews with all the cast members, and even back then Simon complained about the lousy writing on daytime TV and made it clear that the soap was just a job for him. Still, he showed a lot more "oomph" as Scott Phillips than he ever did as Ed Bauer. His version of Ed was always so internal, so morose, so listless (in my opinion), it was hard to care for the character. It was quite a comedown after Mart Hulswit's warm, affable, emotional Ed.

Of course, everything is open to personal opinion. I found Simon great as Scotty and listless as Ed, but I know there are viewers who enjoyed his stint on TGL. I personally felt that SFT's last great period was under the pen of Ann Marcus, while other viewers feel that the show's last hurrah was a few years later, under the Corringtons.

To each his own, I guess.

• Members

From what I recall (and that interview was 40 years ago...yikes!!!), Simon said that he was interested in Broadway, which meant he had to stay in NY.

And he did admit that as much as he knocked the writing on soaps, primetime TV produced a lot of turkeys too.

• Members

Well, *I* thought a lot of his material was good, but of course Simon had the right to disagree. I agree with your point, however, that actors should not sh*t on their shows and continue to stay with them. If you hate a job so much, leave.

In the 1970s, Janice Lynde of Y&R was very vocal in the press about what she thought of her character. There was one headline that read something like, "There are times when I just hated Leslie!" She called her character a "nerd" and a "nebbish," and said that the long, pained looks actors had just before their scenes faded away to commercials were because they were trying not to laugh. I remember thinking how rude it all was, and how disrespected Bill Bell must have felt. Lynde was an excellent actress, and played the character very well, but I was not surprised when she left the role after just a few years. (It was only decades later that she admitted the material Bell had given her had been much better than she realized at the time.)

• Members

Did they ever have any kids together? I know that the Simon/Sherman union brought children from the previous marriages. I want to say they did, but maybe I'm thinking of how Colleen Zenk and Mark Pinter had a "yours, mine and ours" relationship.

Was LOL John Aniston's first soap? I know he had auditioned for DAYS in 1970 when the Doug Williams role was being cast (and, of course, would go to Bill Hayes). I think he was the only one of Mary Stuart's leading men on SFT that was younger than she.

• Members

Just jumping in on the DVD topic, yes DVD sales are lower because you have people not buying, but also due to what is available.

Please register in order to view this content

Kate Hall is Peter and Courtney's daughter. She was 12 in the early 90s.