Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't think they would have withstood losing them. They were the heart and soul of the show. Besides, the show didn't really groom any of the secondary characters that well, especially in the last couple of years. When SFT ended, the only actor besides MS and LH with any significant tenure was Marcia McCabe (Sunny), who had been on for 8 years. The final two years had seen the departure of longtime cast members like Rod Arrants, Sherry Mathis, Maree Cheatham and Lisa Peluso (though I believe they all left of their own accord). Most of the cast at the end had only been there for a year or two.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In my opinion, Ann Marcus gave the show its last, great period. A few writers who followed her, like Peggy O'Shea, were pretty good. Mary Stuart claimed that O'Shea's team was the best set of writers SFT had ever had, but that comment might have been colored by her extreme dislike of Marcus. Of course, Henry Slesar and Harding Lemay both brought their skill to the show, but O'Shea, Slesar, and Lemay did not last last enough for their efforts to have a long-lasting, noticeable impact. Poor viewers got stuck with a revolving door of hack writers: Irving and Tex Elman, Robert J. Shaw,  Linda Griver, etc., and eventually drifted away from a show they once loved. 

Yes, but I do believe that the ratings' decline was a result of endlessly bad writing and production choices, along with the switch from CBS to NBC.  Better material still might have lured viewers back in, but...we never really got it.

• Members

1986-1987 Season

8. The Bold And The Beautiful 5.6

9. Capitol 5.2

Capitol's last year and B&B first year. Neither could match the 6.8 SFT had its last year on CBS. I hated Capitol with a passion...LOL. I had thirty minutes of free time until GL started. It took me a couple of years to warm up to B&B as I thought it was a cheaper version of Y&R.

• Members

I think CBS wanted to get rid of SFT too though. I think they said it was pulling older viewers and they wanted younger ones thus Capitol.

I was never a fan of Edge of Night either but I agree that Capitol would be a hit now with all the mess going on at the WH.

• Members

Vet, I'm surprised that you included the Corringtons in that list.

I think they set up a good structure for the show,although I'll concede they did sabotage some of that themselves.

They were ahead of the times in the sense of including more action stories and 'way out' elements that would become more common in the 80's but handled them well.

The writers that followed really hacked away at the core and it was all downhill from there.

• Members

I once read an interview with Bill Bell where he mentioned CBS approached him as early as 1977 about creating a second show for the network's daytime lineup. Do you think CBS was planning to replace Search for Tomorrow with a second Bill Bell show back then?

As we all know, Bill Bell didn't have a second show ready until 10 years later. Even if CBS kept Search for Tomorrow, I still think CBS would've ended it once Bill Bell had a second show ready to go.