Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

Sherry Mathis seems to be a bright side of the show in the 80s.. where it went through so many writers and changed tones like people changed clothes.

The sad thing is that even if the show had a consistent tone and writing team.. it still would have been doomed because of P & G being stubborn in 1982, NBC picking it up and putting it in a time slot known for preemptions and ranking third (in the areas that did air it).   Part of me thinks it probably would have been better to have ended it in 1982 since we would have been spared the obnoxious McCleary clan... but I'm sure there were some golden nuggets and scenes that would have been missed if that had happened.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'd love to see his work from SFT. From everything I've read, the Jo/Sam love story was one of the greatest the show ever had. When Robert Mandan left the show to move to LA, I've read that neither of the Sam recasts had even a fraction of the chemistry with Mary Stuart that he'd had. Thus, the creation of Dr. Tony Vincente, who Jo would ultimately marry.

• Members

George Gaynes, the first recast, was a comedown from Robert Mandan. He lacked the charm Mandan had had, and after a while it was clear that Sam Reynolds was no longer a viable long-term romantic partner for our Jo. BTW, I found Gaynes to be rather wooden on GH too.

• Members

When Robert left.Sam left on a trip and then was reported missing.

They decided to recast and when that wasn't working out,Sam went crazy and was killed off.

I'm sure fans of the couple weren't pleased with the resolution to that story.

Later, Anthony George leaving forced the writers to kill him off.

Had he not left, I wonder what story Jo and Tony would have had throughout the 70's?

Edited by Paul Raven

• 3 weeks later...