Y&R Maria Arena Bell speaks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for this, Mark. I've never heard her speak either until this clip.

Too bad they don't have a more capable actress playing this part. Although, what she says about the way they are "playing" the story isn't really what we're seeing on-screen.

What gives?

• Members

We have breast cancer going on in our home. Our situation is better than Lily's (about a 90% 10-year survival rate and 80% 5-year non-recurrence rate), which is decent odds.

I am here to tell you there was NEVER, not once, a joyful, gleeful moment where someone looked in the mirror and said -- beamingly -- "I shaved my head! <emotional 'yippee' inserted here> I did it on my own terms!"

Now, I actually really admire the sentiment. We're aware of survivors and their supporters who have done things like pro-actively shave their heads (B&B's Felicia and Stephanie did it with great skill and emotional resonance) to "take control of the process". I get that! But from what I have seen/read, that is more of an act of militant protest against the disease and the seizing of control....not a moment of joy and tranquility and victory.

I think the Lesli Kay reference is an appropriate one. Kay is an actress who can (and did) play the shadings of the story. Lesli's Felicia was sad and wan...she was also focused on finding a new home for her son...and even trying to reunite her family. For Felicia, Christmas dinner was ACTUALLY a way to take "one last glance" at her loved ones and, in a quiet and subtle way, say goodbye.

In the hands of good actress, the ability to play the panoply of emotions that MAB references would be a delight to watch....sadness, terror, joy at small victories, taking stock of what is important, etc. etc.

I'd actually even say the writing is THERE to some point. Lily was scripted as being a puppy dog for Cane in the chemo chair...and then angry at his betrayals in the next episode. I totally buy this up-and-down of emotions as realistic.

It's just that, in Christel (whom I once loved) all this subtlety is lost. She's not up to playing multiple emotions at once, or subtext...and as an actress she too falsely gravitates toward positivity and joy--even when it doesn't reflect the truth of her character.

(Even Ali McGraw, whose Love Story I recently re-watched, and who is not a major actress, was able to imbue her character with a mix of grit and plain spokenness and affection for "Oliver". An old-movie buff, Lily should rent this film).

Let me say, I really do welcome this story...even with its flaws. I think Goddard is doing fine work in it, as is St. John. It is a welcome change from thugs and psychos (Adam? Patty? Deacon? Sharon?) wreaking havoc in various corners of town. I'd argue that the darkness and death that has overwhelmed Y&R since LML rode into town is still a problem...but if this story ultimately becomes one of hope, it will serve as a nice counterpoint to all the death.

I just wish wish wish it were in the hands of an actress who could more consistently makes us feel some complexity.

• Members

Excellent, Mark! A great post indeed. I agree with every word.

I recall Reva's cancer story last year or the year before on GL. KZ didn't shave her head for the story, but she did cut her hair very.very.short. Regardless, one of the most poignant scenes was Reva in the shower and her hair is falling out after chemo. Say what you will about KZ, but she was absolutely brilliant in those scenes.

And as pathetic as DK is as "head writer", he never wrote, nor did Kim play, a moment as cheerful as the one with Lily shaving her own head on Y&R.

At the beginning of this story, KSJ and TW were tearing my heart out. Too bad they've switched gears and have them involved to a lesser exent now in Lily's cancer story.

• Members

Word.

For a story that's supposed to be so close to her heart, she sure is making the story less about cancer and more about Lily's sappy and stupid love life.

The story stated off OK when the Winters family heard the news and the family got together, but it has fallen apart rapidly.

I agree with someone else that said Lauren would have been better for a cancer storyline, as we've seen Lily go through every damn dilemma in her life over the past 5 years, and it would have given Tracey Bregman something to do.

• Members

:lol:

You know MAB and her henchmen are scanning this thread already!

But really, like everything else on this show that starts off with promise, I'm amazed just how far this cancer storyline has plummeted. It's not all Christel's fault, no one is telling this writing regime to focus on Lily's boring, overplayed, and just coma-inducing love life. Cancer is just a plot point, IMO.

• Members

True.

But this is not only due to the writing but also because Christel Khalil lacks screen presence. I don't find her bad at all in this story (and like MarkH I once liked her a lot) but she simply does not have the chops of a Lesli Kay, Leslie Charleson or Kim Zimmer.

So: who's the writer with cancer on Y&R? Paula Cwickly?

• Members

Christel is not doing this story justice and I have a hard time believing that someone such as MAB, whose been touched by cancer herself, would actually feel anything from this storyline. To tell you the truth, I thought it was a plot point to get LAME back together.

I've had several close friends who had cancer and shaved their heads before it all fell out and believe me, THEY DID NOT SMILE when done more like balling their eyes out! It may be liberating to shave your head but nothing joyous comes from it.

For future reference, MAB should pick an actress that can handle the multitude of dimensions of such a story.

• Members

I was the one who mentioned Tracey Bregman playing this story (suprise, suprise), but I think it would have played out better because you need an actress who can play those dimensions and Michael and Lauren are a long established couple with a young child, and I am sure TEB and CLB would wring every bit of emotion from that story. Plus, ovarian cancer is rare in a woman so young and with Lauren we would not know if she would survive which would build tension unlike with Lily who you just know will survive and be moving onto a surrogate storyline next year.

What MAB said seemed heartfelt, but if she truly wanted to do what she says then she should not have given this story to Lily. She should have not made this only about redeeming Cane and the Lily and Cane love story. They did not need this story. They were married in May and he was caught lying in July. That was enough to play out.

And finally if she wanted to show how this effects the family why is it that she chose to write Kristoff St John out for 6 weeks and Tonya out for eight weeks and going when the Lily cancer story is playing out.

I can't say that she is being insincere in what she said, especially since she is a cancer survivor and a writer on her staff is battling breast cancer, but I do have to question her choices of actors to play such a emotional story. Maybe she should be less worried about giving yet more story to couples with vocal fanbases and instead give story to actors that can actually play the story based on talent. If she did she might have found herself up for more emmys next year instead of having to defend why this story is important.

Archived