Y&R: Episodes discussion., Week of June 29,2009

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Given how much creativity we perceive this show to lack at the moment, I don't know what to believe as to where they get their storyline ideas from. All it seems like is the stuff happening on screen has been discussed theoretically and even mocked theoretically, yet it's happening.

Yes, but adding a baby switch to a show that's had multiple pregnancies and miscarriages over the past year? The baby drama is too excessive.

But yeah, continue it in the potpourri thread if you wish.

• Members

Maybe that's the problem. A lot the story development would have happened in the sex scene (if we were allowed to watch it) but since we're not, something is missing. Adam slept with Heather pretty much right after he meet her, but there were lots of scenes of them in bed talking about their lives and feelings, etc. Rafe & Adam or Rafe & Phillip or Rafe & anyone won't get that and that's a problem when you're trying to tell the full story.

• Members

It's easy to call the plot twists. Every time a character acts OUT of character, you realize it's because of a plot contrivance. Like Victor and Ashley being stupid. Why would that be? Victor, especially, is not stupid. But they need to be stupid so Adam can be in place to execute the baby switch.

• Members

I wouldn't say inevitable but extremely likely, In that sense I agree.

I think it doesn't help (though some of us may think it does) to be extremist about the changes to be implemented. While I think this board (with all its knowledgeable posters) is rich with ideas, and I embrace all the innovative inputs myself I still must say I am somewhere in the middle where the show is currently concerned. I don't want to sing it's praises without acknowledging all flaws and I can't acknowledge all flaws without embracing all that is good. It's all subjective. I personally like the different perspective but I don't think being presumptious leaves a good impression for the argument. The show has its ok days, has had some great days, and definitly has its bad days, and need improvement days. I can't say it's a work in progress, but I can hope.

• Members

Am I the only one who misses, slow, boring in inexplicable good way Y&R that stretched things out and though it might annoy you sometimes, it was worth it for the payoff?

Though I had problems with him, I now consider Jack Smith's ouster to be the worst moment in Y&R history. After that, there's been a conscious effort from both LML and MAB to take this show away from the style of storytelling it used to do, and the need to "contemporize" a soap that spent over 30 years being true to that particular style of storytelling that brought it to #1 in the ratings in the fist place.

• Members

You know it's not so much your opinions that bother me, it's the same, consistant fire MAB, MAB is incompetent, blah blah blah. If she does read this board, and i know people at Y&R do, why not give positive suggestions, or criticize particular s/l's and say specifically what is working for you and what isn't. You actually did that alot last week in the strictly episodic thread and I for one appreciated those posts.

And i also say, be careful what you wish for, you may just get it - and it could be a helluva lot worse (insert any other soap for examples). I fear who they would replace MAB and CO. with. I TRULY fear that. I say opine all you want, but love the one you're with - the other alternatives are far more terrifying to me.

Archived