Y&R - Actress OUT?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who's to say the Bells didn't step in? The fact that they had Maria come in to me says that was all planned. The second thing is LML was successful at firing certain cast members it doesn't mean the Bells never intervened. Maybe it was agreeable at that time. ED got another jjob on a BELL show so did DD and also there were probably other cast members being considered and it's very possible the BELLS put their foot down.We don't hear everything guys and what we do hear we should take with a grain of salt , especially considering the sources

• Members

None of that still answers anything about all the crew members that they sat back and let LML fire. Many of them had been there for years. They didn't all go to work for B&B.

And Don Diamont was fired by Maria Bell - not Latham - so that one is not relevant to the situation.

Only Eileen Davidson was hired by the Bells over at B&B. She was the only one during Latham's reign.

And us blaming the Bells has nothing to do with sources - it is just the fact of sitting back and watching what happened. Sure they finally stepped in but by the time they did the damage was done. They allowed way too much to happen that should have never happened.

And that has nothing to do with sources or anything heard - it is just the mere fact of watching a show disintegrate in front of your eyes.

• Members

Don Diamont's firing and consequent hiring at B&B is a glaring proof that MAB has got nothing to do with vets contracts disputes. Sony fired him. MAB probably knew that they were planning to do that, that's why she gradually backburnered him.

If MAB had been the one who fired DD, because she 'didn't like him' it would have meant that 'the Bells' didn't like him. She's just one of them. But DD has been hired at B&B, which means that the Bells were sorry but their hands were tied.

• Members

Nature of business includes having to fire people even long time workers and how can one blame someone without knowing firsthand or having any sources? I understand what is indicated but decisions are made for many reason, some of which are never presented on the surface. The Bells are in a partnership with SONY and CBS, there are things they may unanimously agree upon and there are probably disagreements in which case you lose some you win some.

• Members

Well, I guess the "proof" is in what happens next.

When the Bells disagreed with Sony's decision on Diamont and Davidson and Tom, they hired them for B&B. (It took a while with Tom, since she jumped to ABC and then briefly to primetime).

On the other hand, when Rowell ASKED for Drucilla to go to B&B in the press, there was silence. When Rowell complimented MAB and said they were friends from the LA art world, there was silence. When NB finally asked MAB about Rowell, MAB said "we're moving on".

So, if it is dead dead dead with MTS and Nikki (esp. if they recast the part with Lisa Hartman Black or something), and if B&B doesn't pick her up shortly thereafter, then that shows that the Bells are not necessarily eager to keep MTS in the family.

What is the old CBS promo tag line used to be? "What happens next is ... EVERYTHING".

• Members

Look sometimes it is what it is, just as one mangement personnel informed me off the record recently at my own job "I discussed the issue with HR and convinced them not to issue a final warning but if there are anymore occurences my hands are tied. Please don't make me look bad for doing that" I love that VR stands her ground but with what I do evidently see of both prties in the situation I am not surprised that MARIA said that. I also read her character's exit was done in such a way that B&B wouldn't be able to pick up where Y&R left off but who knows. But to me that goes to show there are politics in how CBS-BELL-SONY deal with each other on these issues. Many times it is the lesser of two evils/ pick your battle approaches when it comes to many decisions made in these situations. Mark I think there is something to your observation but I also can't base my conclusions on whether or not B&B decides to pick up all of "Y&R's" slack.But it is a valauble observation nontheless.

• Members

MarkH, I disagree.

B&B has way too many characters right now, and quite honestly it cannot pick up every single Y&R left-over. It would be ludicrous.

So, although the Bells might be sorry for MTS's fate, they might as well realize that having an expensive star as MTS on that crowded canvas wouldn't be a wise business move for the show itself. So I don't consider 'what happens next' an ultimate proof.

• Members

Obviously, you are both right...I said it too strongly. But if someone says to Brad Bell "Maybe someday Melody could come to B&B" and he says "Never, no how, no way..."...well, that would be informative :).

Yes, B&B probably does have too many characters. Without cost, though, they could get rid of Nick, Bridget, Owen, Jackie, Felicia, Thorne, and maybe even Rick and Steffy. The show wouldn't suffer for a minute. Jennifer Gareis could go too, I guess.

Suddenly, you'd have a pared down canvas, and lots of room for MTS or Tracey Bregman :lol:

I'm not advocating for that...I realize several of you feel the "Y&R rejects" may actually be damaging the show.

IMO, when I look at the screen, and I see Ronn Moss and Hunter Tylo stinking up the screen in one section, "Sick" (Steffy/Rick) stinking up another section, and Eric-Stephanie redux number 100 stinking up a third section...I see lots of room for improvement :).

I could also see putting Felicia on the front burner...that would fix things up too...but Brad Bell seems unwilling.

• Members

I know this probably would never happen, but if MTS and her hubby Ed were to relocate to the East Coast I'd like to see her in the role of Donna Tyler on AMC. Donna was a hooker from the wrong side of the tracks, who ended up making good when she married Chuck Tyler (numerous times). Nikki shares the same type of background, so I could see MTS in the role and it would also bring back another core Pine Valley family. I could also see Kim Zimmer in the role as well.

• Members

OMG, I literally gasped when I saw her dressed for that wedding. And I thought AMC dressed Marcy Walker poorly in her last couple years. That dress was ghastly- it literally looked like something Mama Harper would wear!

One thing I find funny in this thread is all this reminding everyone of past posts, opinions, and how they've changed over the years. Well DUH! 4 years ago, Passions was still on the air, GL wasn't cancelled, ATWT wasn't on the brink of cancellation, GL hadn't premiered it's new production model, etc...... Consequently, I find it humorous that some of the people who bash LML on here were the same ones who were defending Y&R during that very reign of terror they speak of.

MTS has every right to do as she wishes here. I'm not saying I don't wish she would stay because I do. Nikki has always been a source of great conflict on Y&R, and though we're seeing a softer version of her at the moment, she still belongs on the canvas. But it's up to MTS whether that happens and if she doesn't want to take the cut or recurring status, it's her perogative. In these economic times it seems foolish to leave a steady paycheck behind but if she saved enough in her 30 years of work to do it, more power to her.

And it's a wise choice not to recast the part. After 30 years, the audience will not accept anyone else as Nikki.

Archived