ATWT: Why is ATWT Doomed to be cancelled? The show continues to drop in the ratings

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was going to but Goutman is responsible for her still being on the show. He could have fired her long time ago but refuses to.

Goutman needs to leave ATWT on his own. I guarantee you when ATWT is cancelled he will resurface at AMC as a director and EP. Mark my words!!

• Members

ATWT is doomed to be cancelled because it is being run by one of the most incompetent duo ever to see the light of day! :angry:

Jean Passanante's writing has gone from bad to worse and it keeps deteriorating every week. Chris Goutman makes one bad decision after another and is obviously no longer capable of steering this ship back on course.

They keep giving stories and screentime to characters (and couples) that (at least according to practically every internetsite) are if not hated then at least very disliked: Meg, Paul, Parker, Dusty, Casey/Alison etc

They had a golden opportunity to build on something when the Nuke-fandom exploded, but they didn't capitalize on that and now that story is more or less ruined.

The revolving door of new characters and recasts disrupt the show and only irritate the few fans that are left.

The return of Dusty has been a real disaster. He adds nothing to the show in my opinion and his return was probably the reason why Chris Hughes was written off. That was a character with much more potential than Dusty.

The loss of Martha Byrne was a big blow as well. Nothing against Noelle Beck, she's a perfectly capable actress, but she's not Martha Byrne.

The biggest reason is of course the writing. These two/three-week plots don't work. There's no follow-through, no continuity, no consequences, nothing......

Something happens in one episode and is forgotten the next. Legal issues are treated with such carelessness it's mind-boggling. Characters are blown up and hardly suffer any burns (Paul), sexually assaulted seemingly without psychological ramifications (Carly, Alison, Liberty), kidnapped, held at gunpoint, drugged etc and it's all forgotten within a week at the very least.

The writing is repetitive, boring, rushed, sloppy, amateurish and at times downright embarrassing.

• Members

Goutman made the worst decisions ever. He thinks that actors can be so easily replaced and re-casted due to his whims. i never thought I'd see a day where an EP of a television show would tell the audience he doesn't care what they think.

• Members

I agree that both are at fault, but remember that Goutman can only do what P&R allows him to do. Remember that up until recently even GL was recasting everyone instead of looking for the originals.

It's ridiculous, but I think P&R/Telenext are the main reasons Goutman & Passanante are both still there. Look how long they have stuck with Wheeler/Kreizman and the ratings there have been much lower for a longer period of time.

ANd at this point you won't see a change because why spend the money to go through the changes when ATWT is gone next year.

• Members

Yes! New EP/HW cost money...startup, new contracts, etc. etc. Changes to the show...

P&G is going to leave its caretaker regimes in place until the end...which is 9/09 for GL and 9/10 for ATWT. That is not speculation, and we know it. I think it is unfortunate for the fans that they won't at least try to go out on a good note. Like, would it help to hire someone like Backus as a consultant at least?

• Members

I think it could be saved (at least from the rumored "last renewal" CBS gave them) if the ratings could gain any traction and rise above 2.0.

Unfortunately, I don't think TIIC are going to get anyone to work cheaper than Pissy, especially when the writing crew is already down to the bare minimum Pissy, Laiman, Sherman and five breakdown writers.

I don't think Goutman's entirely to blame. How much money he has plays a lot into his decision making. (it's ironic I thought the show as a lot better during the writer's strike) But I think it's imperative that his most boneheaded move ever---the two-story per episode tweaking has got to end. It's driving down the ratings, IMO. I think we deperately need some new writing blood, and maybe it's time for him to look at which characters can be cut to pay for it.

• Members

To be perfectly candid ATWT is unrecognizable to me. I remember back in the day when it was must-see-TV. I started watching during the first Holden/Lily/Dusty storyline when Douglas Marland was the mastermind behind the show with Robert Calhoun. I don't know what the future holds for the show but it doesn't look too bright. Remember Days was basically written off last year and they ended up getting an 18 month renewal so who knows what's going to happen.

• Members

Anyone who thinks Marie Wilson should be the center of any show, should not be in charge of anything. I could take the day off in 2 weeks or 3 months from now and look for something in the afternoon, and it never fails that nutMeg is front and center (on any given day) destroying 2 Schmoes simultaneously. nutMeg Snyder is a ridiculous character and Marie Wilson is as mediocre as ever. Lemme guess, she's up for Outstanding Daytime Actress, isn't she? What a joke that would be, but considering they are being held in an alley this year, it's almost appropriate.

If they took ATWT off the air, it would not be that big of a deal. Nothing happens every day, and there is not one character in which I could invest. Lucinda, Barbara??? Are they still on?

Adios ATWT, and may you burn in the fires of hell with Trassions!

ANDREA

• Members

If I have to read the factually inaccurate statement about P&G sticking with Wheeler/Kreizman forever at GL one more time, I will scream! Kreizman is not the headwriter -- there are four headwriters, with Kreizman as one of them but not with as much power. The writing regime did change. The other factual inaccuracy that drives me crazy is when people credit Jill Lorie Hurst with everything as headwriter when she's not the sole headwriter.

As for ATWT, I think the characters need to become more consistent. I don't care about who makes it happen, it can be Goutman and Passanante, but characters like Meg and Noah and even Janet have been changing their reactions to things all the time and it is frustrating. The reason why nothing seems to be happening is that everything that does happen does not have guaranteed consequences because the characters will just change their minds again. Meg was going to stick it out at Paul's but this lasted about a month until she changed her mind for a reason that she brought on (talking about being his "wife"). Noah was always cautioning against working outside the law, until Luke said it troubled him about Damian helping Meg that way, and then suddenly Noah didn't even understand why Luke didn't like that. Janet either hates Carly/Parker or loves Carly/Parker depending on the week.

Archived