OLTL: Discussion for the week May 25

• Members

The Chloe reveal stuff they began mid-week was very good; the Stacy mess continues to bore. My only hope is Gigi's new show of initiative will pan out and she will really take that crazy bitch down. That might improve the story a bit. As it is, it would not be out of place on Passions.

Also, I found that a lot of the KAD material - while good on the page, or as described in spoilers - fell flat. Blair and Tea were excellent, and Powell had some good stuff. But TSJ didn't sell it, and the scripts were very stilted, especially the material with Marty remembering her life. Susan Haskell gave it her all, but the fact that they showed only her rape (again) and refused to show any clips of Marty's rich history that does not involve being sexually violated by strange men perpetuates the stereotype of this character, that she will only be remembered for rape, that sexual violence is her only avenue of story. Instead, Marty clunkily narrated everything else - and that's no way to tell an audience of old and new viewers, 'hey, Marty isn't just about the multiple rapes by the same guy.' Meanwhile, the faux-Rebecca, Jessica Kaye, was just dreadful, and the way they used her was down there with the worst of Dena Higley. She could've been any crazy henchwoman, since they didn't bother explaining Rebecca's turn to the dark side or giving her any personality, or allowing any of the characters who once knew and cared for her to have a realistic reaction to her return. As a viewer who started out as a kid with Rebecca as one of his favorite characters, the lack of respect, the throwaway role, really stung for me.

What's more, I found the Todd/Marty scenes in the car on the way back home offensive. They went round and round the rosie again, and solved nothing, learned nothing that they hadn't before. The 'zap' to Todd and Marty's strange relationship is gone, and that's because "Tarty: The Romance" killed it. And pairing them off solo once again continued to give us a strange frame of reference for the characters. That was also bad breakdowns - Todd and Marty can't be bothered going after Blair and Tea, but they'll hang out alone, vaguely resembling a couple. It was borderline offensive in its insinuation to me, that they are each other's one true north. And I just don't buy that. If these characters are going to work again after being gutted in the last year, they have got to find ways to move forward without relying on each other and the same tired history. They have got to stop being so fatally enmeshed. There is, IMHO, nothing left to do with these two together - at least, not until major work has been done to revamp them as wholly separate individuals.

Anyway, that's out of the way, so I am hoping the Chloe stuff takes center stage. It was really what worked last week, everyone from BW, ES, MA, JB, SH, and KDP, to surprisingly, BB and KA. I also think it's another sad example of fucked-up plotting and breakdowns that the Dorian/Ray/Lola storyline has now been MIA for what, a week and some change?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really enjoyed the Gigi/Schuyler scenes today. I think this part of the SL might save Gigi for me. Today I saw a Gigi I want to root for. Not some sniveling mess.

You know what Blair needs? To not be brought back into Todd's sexual sphere. They are the most played out couple basically ever and need to never go back down that road.

Hey guys, remember when Rex had a brain. I MISS JEN! Hell let him [!@#$%^&*] Lindsay again. That was one hot mother [!@#$%^&*] affair! LITERALLY! - Sorry for that rambling tangent.

Bree Williamson is so ... bland. At least she was today. Go find some ketchup bitch!

And I guess today confirmed we will get a real Jared/Natalie wedding. Thank God

• Members

I've been more interested in some of the behind the scenes goings on lately than in the onscreen drama, but some of the scenes in the last few episodes were a surprise, as I didn't think they would be allowed. #1 was the fairly lengthy scene of Brody confiding in Charlie about how much he loves Jessica, with Charlie being his father figure. I haven't seen Charlie used in this capacity in what seems like a year. The scenes with Gigi and Schuyler were also much more multi-faceted than what has previously come in this story (Gigi weeping and people hurling abuse at her as she makes the Grand Sacrifice).

I can't figure out where they are going with Jared and Natalie. I am happy they aren't being burned at the stake, as I thought might be the point of all this, but this doesn't mean they're going to vanish to the backburner, are they?

• Members

Is anyone surprised that Jessica is having yet another mental breakdown complete with her alters emerging what only a few months after she was released from St. Annes? It made absolutely no sense that the doctor even let her go considering Tess and Bess kept randomly coming out just before he did so and there was no sign that she even integrated. Shame on Viki and everyone else for just accepting it. The only person that kept calling Jessica out and wasnt so quick to trust was Natalie but she dropped it once she found out that Jess wasnt really integrated

• Members

5/27:

- John and Marty's kiss / almost sex...loved it.

- Todd and Téa's hospital affection...loved it.

I even minorly enjoyed Gigi and Schuyler. :blink:

And thank God there was no tacky musical montage to end the episode.

• Members

I loved Gigi and Schuyler! It's about time somebody starts to expose Stacy. I can not get over the way she lies about EVERYTHING. Including yesterday, with the "stolen" money from her old boss in Vegas. Is Rex really buying this crap? Is anybody?

Wasn't crazy about Marty and John.. Blair and John are married.. sigh.

Archived