The Good Wife: Discussion Thread

• Members

I have to say I was in total shock, but now I am really invested in seeing how this changes things on the show. Will Kalinda and Alicia finally be able to repair the damage to their friendship caused by Alicia finding out about Kalinda's affair with Peter? Is Diane going to join Alicia and Cary's firm, most importantly will Alicia finally cut ties with Peter and finally move on in her personal life as she had in her professional life?

As for the shippers, that's bound to happen. Anyone who has really watched this show knows this is all about Alicia's journey not who she ends up with romantically. I think I actually have enjoyed her relationship with Cary more than anyone on the show, because Cary's own growth in some ways has sort of paralleled her own.

I haven't enjoyed all seasons of this show equally and there are some stories I have not enjoyed, but they aren't afraid to take chances and I feel that this is one of the few shows that has really focused on character development and growth. I hope the result of this has a great payoff in terms of story.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This follow-up episode to Will's death was incredible. I found it interesting that they bookended the episode with Kalinda calling Alicia to tell her of Will's death and then to conclude it with Alicia calling Kalinda. And I like that they didn't jump a month, which many shows do after a death, they will fast forward from that point in time. It made it all the more poignant.

I think it was interesting to see all the reactions. I love the character of David Lee and his sort of cynicism but even he had a moment when he sort of broke down. But this is definitely an emmy episode for Juliana Marguiles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For anyone still watching, another stellar episode, although I really don't get what they are doing with Kalinda. But Juliana Marguiles is fantastic. Her facial expressions say so much. Her grief was spewed with anger throughout this whole episode and bravo to Alicia for finally kicking Peter to the curb. And man I am loving what they are doing with Diane and I loved her kicking David Lee's ass.

I might miss Will, but this has really put the 3 ladies at the forefront of this show where they all belong.

• Members

I'm still watching. I thought this was a great episode. I like the fact that the show blew up the whole Will/Alicia/Peter triangle. Not just the "Willicia side but the Florrick marriage too. That's gutsy writing.

I also liked seeing someone finally slap Kalinda. That's been a long time coming.

• Members

This show is so addicting. I really need to watch past seasons but it was very easy to jump into.

The writing is excellent and so is the acting. Watching now and I just can't get over how GOOD it is. It helps I love the cast in general too.

Characters are smart, the dialogue is sharp ...

I feel like the hour freaking flies by. I need to pay a tiny bit more attention to contribute more but I really just love everything.

Michael J. Fox is interesting playing Louis Canning. Definitely a love to hate him kind of thing. Diane "said the rapist to it's prey". Stellar. "Another martini ..."

And was that Michael Boatman (from Spin City)? I have to admit I had a little flash back to Spin City because he was right next to Fox. Nice.

And the NSA listening in on Peter and Alicia. I liked how Peter owned that man over the phone (can't remember the guys name). And I love that Cary has balls now and seems far more confident, I remember watching past episodes and how little he used to have to do. The episode with his father really made me love him. Cary and Alicia separating from Lockhardt/Gardner was the best thing to happen to this show, next to Will's death, IMO. It's opening up a lot of things it seems.

I just can't say enough how damn clever the writing is. They constantly shock me and how the main characters usually get one over on 'the bad guys' (no way else to describe it), and that it makes sense, and it's done with such subtle sarcasm and dry wit. I just love it. I love how it's serious yet I find myself laughing and chuckling so much. It just feels so ... normal for some reason. It captures lots of normal, human reaction. And everyone from the main to supporting to guest cast is just perfectly cast.

I missed most of last week but I did catch Kalinda's woman (right? I'm not sure of everything yet) going down on her. Damn. This show definitely has guts. Little ole CBS showing some woman action. LOL (although I still say they don't really seem to ever do a lot with Kalinda and they usually seem to rely on just putting her in 'shocking moments', like her abusive boyfriend/husband, the girlfriend, throwing the ball at Louis ... give her something with substance.

• Members

I'm glad to see some others enjoying this show. I have watched it religiously since season one and I have to say this is by far the best season, yes even better than season's one or two, because the show is in full stride now.

I'm glad you mentioned Kalinda because she was my favorite character from the onset, but I do feel that they lost their way with her character a bit. I think her friendship with Alicia by far was her best relationship and since it understandably broke, she hasn't really been the same. But her scenes with Alicia I think it was the prior episode bookending the reaction episode to Will's death were great. And leave it to stodgy old CBS to have the only I think fully realized bisexual character on television. Yeah that includes cable.

Last night was terrific and I still can't say enough about Marguiles in these last few episodes. She's never been a favorite of mine but I really have enjoyed her this season so much and how she seems to have grown as an actress as the character has grown. Last night we saw Alicia rise from her grief to kick back. And leave it to the NSA to be the trigger.

So many great moments. I think I enjoyed the "pseudo courtroom" scenes with the NSA personnel best. And did the writers take a lot of jabs at the NSA and the ridiculousness of some of their policies.

Peter was great and I have always enjoyed him. He's ruthless and slimy and with him the ends always justify the means. In many ways he reminds me of an old school Chicago politician.

And I agree, Alicia and Cary starting their own first and her leaving LG was the catalyst to this entire season and it's been fantastic. It's given all the characters so much more to work with.

Michael J. Fox. I don't like his character but I like the drama Louis brings and I hope he sticks around for a while. While his disease is certainly tragic, I really am impressed and surprised with how he uses his actual illness in this role, as a way to obviously gain empathy from others on the show, and it's gutsy move on Fox's part to play that.

• Members

I have watched every episode since season one and I have to say this show is absolutely terrific. Season 5 is the best season yet, I don't think I've ever seen a show come back in such a way. They've constantly flown under the radar but EVERYONE is talking about this show now. It's fantastic and perfectly cast. I originally tuned in back in 2009 because of my LOVE for Christine Baranski (who still might be my favorite person/part of the show) but wow is everyone on this show great. Even the guest actors they hire are phenomenal.

• Members

Yeah, the guest actors are so good as well.

I've always liked Margulies, since at least ER, but I agree that she seems to have grown a lot as an actress. I loved seeing her refreshed and ready to kick ass.

I'm not a big fan of Louis (which is probably the point, he's basically a 'villain') but I agree about the drama he can bring and I too hope Fox sticks around and agree that it's brave of him to use his illness in the role like he does.

• Members

It's interesting how we all see things. This was probably my least favorite episode of the season. But heck even a not so great episode of The Good Wife is still entertaining and surpasses almost everything else on TV.

My problem was the Colin Sweeney episode. Not that the character is not a hoot and we know the guy has some kind of obsession with Alicia, but it's kind of the same thing every Colin Sweeney episode is. He does something, in this case his fiancé, and Alicia and company gets him off and we all know the guy is guilty. But Dylan Baker is fabulous and he makes the character and even the story arc to an extent worth watching, even if the whole "Rich person's twisted sex party theme" didn't really do anything for me.

I'm actually loving the whole Peter-Castro-Finn-Alicia arc of sorts and it was really great seeing Peter step up and endorse Finn for states attorney. Castro is such a slimy opportunist (so is Peter to an extent), so it's nice to see Peter get the one up on the guy.

And on a side note thank goodness Zach might be turning the corner a bit and Alicia's kids might be challenging this bizarre Hillary and Bill relationship Alicia and Peter have. I've never really understood how accepting the kids have been, but now that it's official that Peter and Alicia are partners in name only and for each others mutual professional benefit, let's hope we see more from their kids in respect to this.

And on a side note, I'll never warm up to Owen. He just doesn't do anything for me as Alicia's brother and I am probably alone in that.

• Members

I wasn't very thrilled by Owen either. Does nothing for me either.

I liked the quiet moment Alicia had after she went into her room, closed the door and fought back tears (in a sense). Good moment.

Wasn't overly thrilled by the episode either but it was still pretty great. I agree that it was mostly predictable, he's guilty but I still enjoyed the fiancee being so creepy there at the end with Alicia and making the joke about tying the knot. I also didn't see the beginning with that annoying assistant "hanging herself" coming. I guess because I haven't seen a Sweeney episode before (I haven't seen every episode).

I agree about liking the side story with that slimy Castro and Finn (who I like) and him now running and Peter endorsing him. I didn't see that coming either. This show manages to always surprise me, even when it probably shouldn't. I get so caught up in the show. I just love it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This weeks show.

Ok was anyone sort of taken about at how closely what was presented on this episode was to the Donald Sterling situation? Eerie.

It's kind of amazing to me how all these creepy rich white guys(the persecuted 1%) have a thing for Alicia? Now we have another one.

And if Peter wants to bang someone, can he at least find someone OUTSIDE of his office?

• Members

What a fantastic ending to the best season on this show. And it ended almost on the flip side of where it started.

First of all can I say I love Cary, I always have. And I have always been disappointed they haven't done more with him but it felt like this episode was a transition point for him. I was on his side entirely in this war of "should we or shouldn't we merge with LG". And Alicia demonstrated what a cutthroat being she really can be. I actually think somewhere he knew Kalinda was using him(and I do think Kalinda cares for the guy) but that scene with the 2 of them in bed after he discovered her machinations was a little creepy and twisted but it seemed he was letting her know she was no longer in control. I like seeing a darker side to his character and with Diane likely joining their firm, I'm not expecting Cary to play nice next season, but guarded.

The scenes with the mothers was pure gold. I have always loved Jackie, even if she is a little "Lady Macbeth" like.

How about the fact that Louis Canning is likely dying. We all knew that but to have Diane just vocalize it like that was a grim reminder. And I Iiked Cary going to him ratting out Diane and Alicia, because frankly Alicia kind of stabbed him in the back.

And Alicia running for State's Attorney? Not sure about her entering the political scene yet, but I am beginning to wonder if she and Peter are in many ways cut from the same cloth.

Next season should be interesting. I am not sure there is any way they can top season 5, but we'll see.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I am kind of surprised no one has chimed in on TGW yet this season, because IMO the greatness of last season continues this season. You know I liked the character of Will (no I didn't love him). I think he brought a bit of warmth to the show, even if he was not on the straight and narrow. I liked his relationship with Kalinda in particular. But killing that character off has really made a huge impact in the tone of the show (it seems a LOT more cynical and humorous).

I have always liked Cary and I am really glad they have made his story the backdrop for the season. Alicia running for states attorney, can I say I loved her answer when she was asked why she wanted to run. She really didn't have an answer but I really liked her answer when asked why she became a lawyer.

I postponed my viewing of The Walking Dead premiere this week because I wanted to see TGW, it's become that compelling for me.

Archived