Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's hard to speculate with Cane cause he's such a goodie. Secret baby? Wouldn't make sense. Still married to someone from Aussie-land? Nope. People talk about writing villains into corners but you can also write heroes into corners as well.

I will speculate though, that if MAB can somehow fix Cane and make him fun to watch and fit on the show, she'll get the Immunity Idol for at least a year.

• Members

They seem to think he's some romantic hero, which he fails miserably at.

I wouldn't mind MAB picking up that dropped scene with Cane on the telephone having a questionable conversation with his uncle in Australia during the LML era. Maybe they should wait a while before Cane is exposed as some fraud or whatever, but I wouldn't mind it.

But again, we need strong writing to make it all work, MAB only seems to know to write for a certain group of characters she likes.

• Members

While DG seems like a very likeable and nice person, I don't think he's a good actor. However, for some reason, I am not as bothered by Cane as many here. I can take or leave him. I've had moments where I've liked him (like last week when he called Billy out on having his own pity party), and then moments where I can't stand him. I think he could add something to the show, particularly since I do see potential in Cane vs. Billy. They have got to scale down his self-righteousness though, and make him a little less boring. He's not a very layered or nuanced character, they could really work on that (though I don't now if DG could handle that type of character). I also realize that Y&R has a certain "hunk" quota that they have to reach, as every soap does, and he fits the bill for the younger set, but they could stand to give him more layers and depth. Right now, Cane doesn't seem anything more than the typical "pretty but dumb" guy.

• Members

It's painful that he's the Chancellor heir, given his age and the fact that he's such a poorly developed character. Though LML dropped it, I wonder if she planned to expose him as a fraud later on. That phone conversation with his uncle had to have had some significance for her, as horrible of a writer she was.

• Members

Yes; he is not the romantic hero. I can see him as a Brad copy, a sleazy, kinda disgusting guy, who just uses women and goes after money. Who then dies miserably. I have been wanting them to revisit that scene with his uncle, too. But I see why they wouldn't do it now; the Kay/Jill thing has just been undone, some time has to pass by. But, yes, they should reveal him as a fraud, and make Jill come after him like a bat outta hell... maybe she can be falsely accused of his murder, I don't care.... Just as long as this is done with.

I really do think that the fact that he was pimped as a Chancellor and that his creation raped the show's history did him absolutely no favors. Good or bad actor, his character is an insult, a slap on the face to the show and that will never change.

• Members

I think Cane is fine. My only real problem with the character is the weird age he's supposed to be. He looks enough like JW that I can buy him as her long lost son.

My other nitpick is that Nick already serves the role of pretty but sweet dumb hunk in a corporate job he's not qualified for. Now that Cane is back to his natural setting, a dive bar, maybe he can develop an identity that's distinct from Nick's. If they're going for the GC version of a Humphrey Bogart movie character -- a basically amoral but pleasant fellow, then the writers are on the right track.

• Members

Even though it wasn't directed at me (feel free to dismiss it with a quaint "Oh Rose"), I'll tell you what I like about Cane. I know that i may be banned from this thread for saying anything, anything nice about Cane (Dee will never talk to me again - "Dee: No. I won't.") But I'll take the risk and say this. I like that he's gallant and heroic. He's sort of noble but not arrogant. When he loves a woman, he truly loves her with his soul. He's forgiving and gracious as well. He's impossibly altruistic and down to earth. He's a classic romance novel stud. His loving nature and romantic passion is laughed at but it makes me coo. I am a Lane fan and I like him with Lily cause they fit.

My problem with Cane is that he's not the Chancellor heir I wanted nor could ever expect. Him being Austrailian is the biggest WTF-ever in casting and adds nothing to his character but an out-of-nowhere dialect that neither befits the son of Jill nor gives him any complexity. He's also passive and his storylines usually are him being used as a chew-toy for women. As for the actor, he can't possibly ever go toe-to-toe with any of the males in the business department, which is why he's back to being a bartender. The writing for him has made him a chump and confused the heck out of me. I get that he's nice, but WHO IS HE?

Archived