The latest on GL going to Lifetime

• Members

OH COME ON DUDE!

A bank merger is a face-saving move. Acquiring a television show wouldn't be something hush-hush. It would be a big deal and the supposed new network would be saying "We're exploring all possibilities."

Lifetime has no interest in original(or even classic) daytime soaps. Period.

If there was any sort of interest in GL moving to another network, it would have happened by now. The same way it happened with Passions when it moved to DirecTV.

I can't wait till this show is six feet under, so these in-denial fans can move on and stop talking about Lifetime, MTV, Logo, CW, WE, Spice, G4 and Discovery acquiring the show. I swear, half of SON's topics are made up of, "Will (insert network here) pick up GL?"

You guys are actually making me look forward to a lame Dating Game/Let's Make a Deal update!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah, it's going to Telemundo. The entire cast is going to have to learn how to speak Spanish.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I want GL to go out with DIGNITY. I don't want to be stuck with some freaky cliffhanger ending because they thought they were gonna go somewhere else, but found out too late that that wasn't the case. Screw that. Everyone would be better off if they just wrote the hell out of the show this summer and let it end beautifully. I can't believe that there are people who think that SEVENTY-TWO YEARSSSSSSSSS isn't long enough for any TV/radio show to be around. It's tiiiiiiiime!!!!!!!!!

• Members

There are always going to be some fans who won't want to just let go. That CBS is replacing it with a knockoff of a long ago game show also doesn't suggest people should look ahead to innovation or inspiration. Some fans who recently started watching are probably even more unhappy to see the show end. Every soap has people who explore their options after cancellation, and I'm sure they will move on in time.

• Members

I don't think people should look at the Dating Game and/or Let's Make a Deal and/or Pyramid remake with such contempt. Soaps were at their best (ratings-wise) when they were scheduled alongside many, many game shows in daytime. It was only when the networks started to expand soaps to an hour and do away with most of their game shows that soaps ratings really began to plummet.

• Members

They are bringing in game shows to replace soaps now, instead of help them. I can see why soap fans wouldn't want to embrace another factor that will help lead to the death of the genre.

I don't mind a game show update, I'm just saying it's hard to say GL fans should get over the show and embrace the future when that future is a game show that was last popular either 25 years ago or 35 years ago.

• Members

Who's to say that game shows won't help soaps? The chances are slim, I know, but it shouldn't have to be either one or the other in daytime. Soaps and game shows can cohabitate. Some soaps will have to go or cut down to make room, but I'd rather there be both together than none at all. Imagine a daytime full of syndication.

• Members

Game shows are cheaper than soaps, much cheaper, and CBS is already getting rid of one soap and plan to get rid of ATWT by next year. Soaps are no longer seen as money machines, so unless something big changes, I think game shows (or perhaps at ABC, talk shows) will be used to replace soaps. I guess it depends on whether the current soaps can pull themselves up in time.

• Members

Exactly. Game show fans have similar contempt towards soaps, which is kind of sad considering many people consider game shows in the same vein as soaps. Fluffy, trash TV.

Even if the current soaps we know and love die, the genre may pick itself back up in 5-15 years. Everything runs in a cycle. Look at the game show as a perfect example of that.

I was really hoping for a Pyramid update myself. I really loved Dick Clark's version where they stuck by the rules and didn't give anything away.

• Members

I don't know if I can see them ever creating new shows which are scripted, because of the extra cost. I guess 5-10 years is a long way off, so we don't know what may happen.

I do enjoy game shows, I watch GSN every day. I do wish they could try out a new game show format, and if they won't, then revive a daytime version of Password, or What's My Line?

• Members

I was just watching Dick's Pyramid about an hour ago, with Terry Lester and Jackee on it. First time seeing it since it returned to GSN's lineup and I forgot how much I loved it. Good stuff.

My ideal set-up for a game show/soap opera compromise in daytime is for games in the morning and soaps in the afternoon, but with the limited network time, they'd have to figure out a way to put it all in the afternoon. Soaps have to go back to 30 minutes. It's a must. A must! There's a reason why so many, including Agnes and Bill, resisted the expansion! Irna sure as hell wouldn't have went for it.

• Members

Ook, sorry bell...i forgot every here knows nothing except a certain few. My bad for making a common sense comparison.

Business is business no matter who it is and it all comes down to one thing...MONEY.

So ya, you can compare the two. :huh:

• Members

Whaa.....it's not about "a certain few" or about people who "know nothing." It's about how Lifetime has never expressed an interest in ever picking up GL in the first place, and how someone decided to suggest that maybe GL should go to Lifetime, and how Lifetime is now plainly stating that they are not going to pick up GL. What could they possibly stand to gain by saying that they aren't picking up GL if they are going to pick up GL?

Archived