Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I also remember a soap reporter saying that YR really wanted Heidi Mark as Sharon Collins in 1994 but she was doing a Hulk Hogan  series then so they hired Monica Potter but when the HH show died, They hired Mark but ended up firing her for Sharon Case

I like JE but CT got the shaft

• Members

I have heard that Judi was always their first choice and as soon as she was available they brought her in. I have also heard a rumour though that Cali had problems with Tom Eplin, which makes it more understandable that she would have left (or been pushed out) instead of TPTB finding a way to keep both Cali and Judi. I've forgotten -- somewhere in this thread someone had a brilliant suggestion for another part that Judi could have played that would have allowed Cali to remain as Paulina. I'll have to look for it -- I remember loving it but at the moment I can't recall what it was.

Found it: it was Nancy! 

Edited by Xanthe

• Members

I always enjoyed Cali Timmins as Paulina. I thought her and Tom Eplin worked well off of each other. It made no sense to me that she was gone but then I thought I had read something somewhere after that she was very unhappy at AW. The show knew she was not happy there and decided to let her go. If she had issues with Tom that might explain it. Didn't Tom have issues with alcohol for many years and finally got help later ('93/'94 was it?) when everyone thought Jake "died" and he was off the show a while?

• Members

When we re-read SOD from that year in a prior thread the transition from Cali to Judi became clear.  Judi moved back to the east coast after working on Days (she may have also had a recent divorce).  She tested with several east soaps and finally AW made her the best offer and then they fired Cali.  It was toward the end of the "Who shot Jake" storyline, so there was a possibility that Tom Eplin may have been on his way out any way.  However, SOD characterized the hire as AW's attempt to raise ratings based on the popularity of the actress because Days had shot to near #1 status during her time on that show.

I agree that Cali was the superior Paulina.  Despite the fact that both actresses were very waspy blonds playing a South American born character (casting that probably wouldn't fly today).  I was a fan of Cali from her time on Ryan's Hope.  She conveyed a delicate balance between conniving and vulnerability.   She wore those early 90's bandage dresses like no one else.  And, she had portrayed a sexuality that Judi never brought to the part (despite her pairing with perma-speedo-clad Julian McMahon).  

Of course eventually, Paulina went from a South American con artist to an Italian chef with a long lost child who somehow knew to try to find her in Bay City, but that's soaps.

• Members

I'm not entirely clear on Paulina's mother's background, but from the beginning they established that Paulina had been brought up in foster care in the U.S. (which was where she had met Derek Dane). I tried reading the synopses about Remy and it was profoundly unclear why Remy had come to Bay City in the first place. She was already there when Paulina decided to look for the baby she had given up and eventually it turned out that a local judge had known that Paulina's baby had been a girl, so obviously Remy didn't have to look far. 

That last year of Another World was completely ludicrous. I remember liking some of the actors but Lumina and Cameron and crazy vindictive Marley were awful.

• Members

They had to make Marley crazy and vindictive, because Jensen Buchanan had essentially turned Vicki into Marley.  So there was nothing for Ellen Wheeler to play as "good" Marley.  They made her bad.  

I would have preferred giving Vicki back her edginess, then allowing Ellen Wheeler to play Marley the way she played her a decade earlier -- as the good sister.   

• Members

According to Another World Homepage, Paulina was born on San Cristobal, off the coast of Panama (I'm guessing it is not the same San Cristobal where Reva Shayne ruled as queen on Guiding Light) and her mother was Maria Hernandez Desilva (which doesn't explain why she called herself Paulina Cantrell, but that's another story).  Ken and Mac met Maria while they were reporters.  That may account for her blond hair, but certainly not her New Jersey accent (lol).

http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/paulinaf.html

With regard to Remy, I've always chalked that up to newer writers who forgot (or never researched) Paulina's history because she and Derek were not raised in Bay City so there couldn't have been an adoption judge in town with more information on the child.  Unless, there was an unexplored underground illegal ring of family court judges who worked on the Donna, Paulina, and Sylvie Kosloff (Iris's mother) cases, because that midwestern town sure had a lot of iffy adoptions...

Edited by j swift