Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There has been a lot of discussion about all of the Alice's but can we talk about the Matthew and Amanda's through the later years?

According to wiki we have Sandra Ferguson (1987–93, 1998–99); Christine Tucci (1993–95); Anne Torseglieri (1993); Laura Moss (1996–98).  Sandra was classic Amanda but her characterization wasn't always clear.  She was introduced as a spoiled socialite but Sam (and a baby) shamed her into being more grounded.  Then, Christine Tucci comes along and she looks more like Rachel's daughter but once again Amanda was a little wishy-washy.  It didn't help that she got caught up in the Harrison drama but didn't contrast well against Vicky.  Once Vicky had kids she became a heroine/damsel-in-distress.  Amanda played exactly the same purpose so she became the odd man out in the Harrison family story.  Then, there's Laura Moss.  It annoys me to this day that she played Amanda during Rachel's anniversary special.  I feel like this time they got the character right, Amanda was scheming and sexy, but the actress was wrong and poorly cast.

For Matthew we have; Matt Crane (1988–97, 1998–99); Brian Krause (1997–98); Jeff Phillips (1998).  Matt Crane's part of the intro fascinated me for years.  I couldn't figure out if he was air drumming or, playing with a yo-yo or, practicing nun-chucks?  His Matthew was charming and reflected all of Mac's best qualities.  Krause and Phillips were too gritty.  They both tried to imbue Matthew with an ennui that didn't fit with the character's upbringing.  

Unlike, Dennis or Jamie this generation of Cory's had no need for a chip on their shoulder.  Matthew and Amanda got plenty of attention growing up.  Their time in boarding school was just enough to SORAS the role.  However, neither had iconic stories due to a lack of consistent characterization.

Don't get me started on all of the Sam's

Edited by j swift

Amanda & Sam had potential. But it was quickly squandered. With in a year they were married with a kid. Adding Evan and Olivia into the mix was a great idea. But it was all badly executed. Poor Amanda was stuck with badly recast Sam's for years. Matt Crane imbued Matt Cory with charisma.  Rachel's kids deserved better.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I think Sandra Ferguson had an easier time in her first stint as Amanda because her character did have a good consistent character arc.  She had a harder time when she reprised the role in early 1998 due to a lack of strong writing, a character that had been changed quite a bit during her five years away from the role.  

We've seen other performers on different shows reprising their roles after being played by a recast and sometimes struggle (i.e. IK on Ryan's Hope, Brenda Dickson on Y & R, etc).  I think they struggle because the character changes due to different writers, how their replacements played the character, etc.

We saw her struggle to play the damsel in distress because the Amanda of her years wasn't a damsel in distress.. she was impulsive and a little entitled.. but wasn't so ditzy nor needy (Moss played up the needy part to the hilt when she played Amanda).

Matt Crane also struggled a bit when he came back because he came back where Matt was the 'bad guy' for keeping Lila away from Cass... and it just didn't work.  I recall reading somewhere that had the show been renewed.. they were going to revisit Josie/Matt.

• Members

There was also Daniel Dale who played a teenage Matthew from 1986 to 1987. I really liked him in the role and would have loved to see what he would have done with the role. But the character was aged by a few years and recast with Crane in 1988.