Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

At this point Justine and DOOL's Princess Gina storylines get conflated but, didn't they get facelifts to look like their younger doppelgängers?  How anyone pays for a facelift, or a new mansion, after being locked in an asylum in Europe for a couple of decades I'll never figure out. 

On another note;  I was wondering if Rhonda Lewin ever played Marley or if she only played Vicky during her short tenure?  I enjoyed Ellen Wheeler's Marley but I was always annoyed by Anne Heche's take on the character.  Heche's Marley was mostly about the wig and speaking in a higher register; there was never any depth given to her.  Also, her Vicky-as-Marley tricks never fooled me.

• Members

I am one of the few who liked Rhonda Lewin as Vicky.  I think she should have been given more time.  But then we would not have been given the amazing Anne Heche so I guess it worked out.  I think Heche came into her own as Marley during the rape storyline.  Which was also around the time the stupid wig disappeared.

• Members

I think Ellen Wheeler was the best Marley, but I think Anne Heche's Marley was very good in that last year. IIRC, Heche fought for Marley, and was the reason why they ditched that awful wig and Marley became a more rounded character once she split with Jake and all her stories stopped revolving around her womb. I also thought she did a pretty good job at Vicky playing Marley in that last year. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I think it is mesmerizing how good Heche is in her "scenes together" as Marley & Vicky. Whether together or apart, I always felt Heche gave each character very distinct personalities... and when together, a connection that transmitted right off the screen. 

Wheeler was a great Marley, and yeah, probably the best at playing her. The writing definitely helped. Her Vicky, on the other hand, was a little more cliche (though this is an exaggeration, the duality under Wheeler kind of reminded me of a toned down version of OLTL's Viki / Niki). 

To me, Heche was the best to play the dual roles. I would have loved to see how far Cynthia Watros could have gone... or if, in a more perfect world, Watros had been discovered back in 1991, instead of casting Jensen Buchanan.

• Members

IMO, Heche finally embodied Marley when they sent her away for awhile and she got to explore the role away from Bay City. Just her and the new Jamie figuring out who they were. After that, she was pretty much flawless as an actress. Her scenes as both sisters in her final year and a half is some truly stunning work. Several people who didn't watch the show but came in and out of the room while it aired always commented on how they couldn't believe that was the same actress playing both roles.

I never enjoyed Wheeler as either character - just a personal preference. I *did* enjoy Buchanan - although at the start, just like Heche, I enjoyed her Vicky better than her Marley. At some point, I don't remember when, her Marley grew on me. Probably right around the time I stopped watching the show in '94/'95.

• Members

Yes, that is Beverly Penberthy on the Pepto Bismal commercial.

That is Albert Stratton (Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Lovers and Friends, All My Children) on the commercial for Chevrolet.

Debbie Allen (from FAME - and sister of One Life to Live's Phylicia Allen) was on the left in the Jif commercial.

• Members

Carl and Donna never seemed to have been a love match. Her being kind to Perry had nothing to do with her feelings for Carl.

My impression was that Donna had been coerced by her father into marrying Carl, but the story may have changed over the years depending on when Reginald was supposed to have died. Did Donna live with Carl in Europe? I know that's where Felicia found him, but by then he and Donna had been divorced for some length of time.