Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm interested in your thoughts on Willis.  I recall him going from petulant with a chip on his shoulder to stubborn but charismatic.  However, I always attributed it to his awesome pairing with Gwen.  But, I guess he was aged up in the recast and I'd be curious to know how his portrayal changed? 

• Members

John Fitzpatrick, the first Willis, came across as a charismatic, but with a barely-concealed petulant temper, ready to be vindictive and aggressive at any provocation. After Russ Matthews beat Willis to a pulp, Leon Russom suddenly took over the role and started playing Willis as much more subdued and introverted, desperate in his emotions but not hard and calculating the way Fitzpatrick had been earlier. The character lost a lot of his edge and toughness as the actors changed.

• Members

Mac Cory was a man with sophisticated taste.  Notably, when he moved to Bay City he bought an old stately house but then commissioned Robert Delaney to design the very contemporary Cory Publishing Compound.  I don't recall why Mac moved his company to Bay City or why Robert gravitated toward such modern designs.  However, I appreciated the details both types of architecture, and how his home and office were a reflection of an older man who was always attracted to fresh new ideas; like Rachel.

Looking back at the office sets in the 90's, around the time of Iris's return, all of the midcentury charm of the company was gone   The offices where Willis, Gwen and, Pat worked looked like they were in a compound and the 90's office looked like a generic highrise.  As I recall the original offices were all on one floor around a central courtyard; hence the name Cory Compound.   I hate to be a curmudgeon but I think they even stopped referring to it as a compound once Amanda went to work there.  

Was there a gap in time between when Robert was on Summerset and when he moved to Bay City and was it ever explained what Robert did during that time?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Not very much of a gap, no. Just a few months. But in the interim, Robert's wife Jessica Buchanan and their baby died, which crushed me because Robert and Jessica had been such an important and beloved romantic duo on Somerset, and the touch-and-go delivery of their baby had had my stomach in knots. I was really annoyed that TPTB killed off one of my favorite Somerset characters just to (as Harding Lemay put it) free up Robert for new storyline possibilities.

Edited by vetsoapfan