Y&R: Week of May 04, 2009

• Members

This week. Next week is anyone's guess.

It was wrong of me on so many levels to love it, but love it, I did: Jill telling Kay she was "too old and too slow" to keep battling with her (Jill) was a hoot! :lol:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to say this (at the risk of incurring the wrath of Sylph)...

It's good right now. Not great. Not Bridget/Nadine on Curlee's GL or Maxie/BJ on Labine's GH or Iva with a pitchfork barging in on Josh/Lily on ATWT great. But good. Jill/Kay, Adam's needles, Gloria losing everything, the constant questions among us regarding both who else will be gay for Rafe, and how will the Mary Jane mystery progress. All good.

I'm not naive. I'm not optimistic. I'm not delusional. We have all watched soaps (most of us here, multiple soaps) that go through these amazing periods where everything works. And six months later - it all falls apart. Nobody's saying MAB is the next Harding LeMay or Agnes Nixon. But for now, the stars are aligning. Instead of defending it to our dying breaths, or crapping all over it because we know it will end any day - can't we just enjoy it for the next few however-long-it-lasts? As we know from DOOL and OLTL and GH and AMC and ATWT and every other soap that's ever aired - nothing has changed. For a good three to four months a year, pretty much every show somehow "clicks". So right now, it's Y&R's turn. I love it, as a fan. I also know that they will probably stumble and fall at some point down the line, and we'll all be crying "Hack!"

So I'm just enjoying this. The ride works for me. It's not perfect, but I'm not going to feel like it's "wrong" for me to like it, for as long as it lasts. I don't think there's anything wrong with loving any soap if you do. When it sucks, it sucks. (I used to be in the DOOL thread a LOT when it was DAILY here, once upon a time... I'm not stupidly optimistic enough to think this always lasts.)

There are huge flaws - CF may work out as Mac eventually , but they probably could have found an actress who hit it out of the park immediately and didn't need a learning curve, the Winters family/story is a mess, story is moving ridiculously fast for some, and absurdly slow for others, there doesn't seem to be a long-term purpose for the Fisher-Baldwin-Bardwells, there's way too much focus on emotional problems (even if I may enjoy the individual stories of Mary Jane, Sharon, Phyllis, Kevin, Ashley and Adam are all in the middle of what appears to be severe psychoses, and that's a lot) and they haven't properly defined why Jill hates Katherine right now. I see all of these points, and I absolutely agree with them. There is still much to be fixed.

But the rest? I'm really digging it. Even some of the stuff I pointed out above, I'm still digging it, in spite of its flaw (Adam's story is definitely a guilt pleasure for me. Kimberly-Shaw-like, for that matter!)

Because for all we know, it's temporary. I'm not Carlivatizing her - but I am seeing moments like the Buchanan Board Meeting of 2008 or the Viki/Marcie stand-off of 2007 (sorry to use OLTL examples, for those who don't know what I'm talking about) in Y&R - only this time, I go into it thinking "Mendorra" and "Time Travel" might be around the corner, so I won't be disappointed. I'll just enjoy the journey here and now and see where it goes.

Sorry. Pulling a Cashton and posting a little buzzed. :) Don't mock too much. :D

• Members

Has this Jeanne Cooper interview been discussed?

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/article/art...s_article_id=90

Some tidbits:

MICHAEL:

What do you think about the fact that the Emmys were not going to be broadcast at all, by any major network that carry soaps, before the CW stepped in?

JEANNE:

I think it’s degrading. I think it’s unacceptable, and I am humiliated and offended. I will tell you why. Daytime kept the three big fat networks alive for so many years while they jerked around so many pilots a year that were never sold. They used up the tremendous revenue of the 70’s and 80s that we brought them, so that they could afford to jerk around. And that’s how I feel about it.

• Members

Just a thought. Nikki runs into Eden at the coffee house, and they have a get to know you chat. Nikki finds out about Eden's life growing up in the cult and has her own flashback of her and Paul joining a cult way back when.

• Members

Yes,there is too much focus on crime-the courthouse and prison sets are being seen regularly.

The love stories-Daniel/Amber Paul/Nikki Cane/Lily are either non existent or nauseating(guess who)

Fri

If Victor is so concerned with Heather being at the ranch,why does he allow all and sundry to turn up at the doorstep?He mentioned security-they ought to be sacked.

This whole thing with the Governor is a waste of time -we know Kevin and Amber will get off-and Jill is being turned into an unsympathetic bitch.

Has Esther lost her share of the house?

More Ridiculous Style nonsense Cane and Lily were made to look like even bigger idiots,if that's possible-and there is one photographer-that's it-no assistant,stylist etc

Daniel feels Amber is moving ahead of him-a valid story point,but like Billy's disatisfaction with his job,we've had no evidence of it.We've seen nothing of them working on their vocations.Apparently,Amber's fab jacket is rocketing off the shelves,the depiction of career is a joke.Fair enough,it's a soap,not a documentary,but to use job based storylines,some semblance of reality would be appreciated.

I am losing faith in the show at present.Is anyone else feeling it?

• Members

The show's running on fumes on various levels, true. But I don't dare predict a Mendorra. Even the chipmunk s/l wasn't a complete disaster, IMO.

If it so happens that there's one solid storyline every cycle, surrounded by hollow duds, as it is now to some extent, I think I'll take it. If it descends into a bunch of duds, I'll stop watching and read some spoilers until it improves. Just like I always do. Hah!

• Members

There is a lot of nostalgia about Bill Bell, but he struggled to end stories also. The only headwriter that ever knew how to end a story and did so consistently was Doug Marland.

Y&R has lots of problems and I like it much less than its admirers on this board. I dislike the 2 women to 1 man triangle. Viewers care about Sharon. We should have gotten to see one or two of her therapy sessions. There are too many weddings. Only the Murphy and Katherine should have married. The quad with Cane/Chloe/Billy/Liliy should have played out longer. The character of Mac is not needed and the role was poorly cast. CF looks too old for the role. The Winters mess has been mentioned previously. Y&R still has more good than bad. I love the Adam faking blindness and the Ashley gaslighting stories. Overall, Y&R is better than any soap on air and I like all the improvements that Hogan has made since he joined the show.

• Members

Effective immediately, Cashton is the only SON post-er allowed to post in the Y&R thread(s) while intoxicated.

brimike? As much as I love reading what you have to say? It had absolutely nothing to do with my post. Seriously. Nothing at all. :P

But, since you brought it up (and since posting while the under of influence (PWI) seems to be all the rage these days)....

Don't tell me not to live,

Just sit and putter,

Life's candy and the sun's

A ball of butter...

To do that, brimike, there would have to be a consensus that the show was uniformly great right now. I'm sorry, but as far as I can see, there is no consensus that it is. Some love it, some don't, and post-ers here, at least, seem to love and not-love it in equal measure. I, for one, try not to stop those who do from saying so, so please allow those who don't the same courtesy.

And you're absolutely correct. But that isn't what I [!@#$%^&*] SAID. :lol:

Woah. The buzz must've been wearing off at that point.

HA! When it comes to mockage, I spare no one.

• Members

How long does it take to clean up LML's mess? She seems to just rewrite past stories for the most part. Like this Kevin-Chipmunk story. It was basically the same Kevin story written under Jack Smith except that storyline focused on Michael, Lauren and Kevin with a side of Mac and was very well written and won GR and CLB emmys. The acting was still good in this story, but the chipmunk was absurd and the story wrapped too quickly. Sharon loses it, sleeps with three men, steals thousands of dollars worth or merchadise, is having black outs just so we can have a WTD with three potential fathers which is a rewrite of Phyllis's WTD plus one. Sharon saying I am getting counseling doesn't cut it. These story rewrites: some work, others have been a stretch.

And where is the business intrigue in the show? Whether Restless Style will get out their next issue? You take the issue with Daniel and Amber having different levels of business success. Good idea, but Amber had one conversation with Lauren, on the phone, about Lauren wanting to sell her jackets and that is the basis of her being a success? When has she had the time to do these jackets between saving Katherine, being on the run with Kevin and planning Katherine's wedding. Same thing is happening with Nikki and Paul. When did they get serious enough to consider marriage? It hasn't been shown on screen. The Winters story played every two weeks and was wrapped in a decent way, but it failed because she did not play the beats of the story. What does Neil even see in Tyra that he would cheat on his wife mere months after marrying her?

Her favorite stories play the beats to nauseaum and get the attention from her. You see them playing out on screen four or five days a week. The stories she cares little about happen off screen for the most part until she shows some mild interest in them.

• Members

A LONG time.

LML severely damaged EVERY character & the very fabric of the show itself.

It's unrealistic to expect her to undo everything LML & Jack Smith did in six months or even a year.

Almost all of LML's newbies are gone & most were given respectful exits.

Maria's gotten most of the characters back to acting IN character.

Her pacing could use a lotta work but she's given a great deal of credibility to every character on the canvas.

She DOES rely too heavily on love triangles & WTD's but her writing is solid enough to make them work even when her pacing doesn't.

The Chipmunk story was horrible cause The Baldwin Fishers especially Kevin have been written into a corner.

Maria needs to dump them all except Michael & Lauren.

The Sharon/Nick & Phyllis story is horrible cause Morrow can't carry the story.

Case & Stafford are acting circles around him & Maria's using Bergman & Miller to do Morrow's heavy lifting.

The misogyny on the canvas is also a problem.

It could be Sheffer. It could be Rauch.

But either way it needs to be fixed ASAP.

• Members

After years of lurking, this epic Y&R thread inspired me to join SON.

Y&R is not perfect but it has been getting better and better ever since LML was shown the door. These past few weeks have been a turning point with Kay & Jill re-established as enemies, the Phickron triangle now back to being the Phickronck quad (or whatever it's called), the Abbotts working together to finally defeat the interloper Gloria, and the Newmans back to being as creepy & unwholesome as ever.

The misogyny on the show needs to be addressed. It seems like all the triangles are 2 women/1 man. Kay is the only strong woman on the show.

Mary Jane is so Patty Williams. I loved Patty Jane & Phyllis bonding. I am guessing something bad will happen to Sharon. Everyone will blame Phyllis but PJ will be the real culprit.

Adam sticking a needle into his eye, while the doctor's banging on the door and his eyeball is rollling around as if trying to escape the needle? Sick genius.

eta -- Mac is awful. She needs to go.

Archived