GH: Sarah Brown Interview with Nelson Branco

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, what this means is, the then-underappreciated Richard Culliton (and Karen Harris) are repsonsible on the writing end for the success of Carly on GH!

Awesome, wide-ranging interview! I like that she thought Maura West would have made a great Carly Roberts too, and I agree. (Carly on GH in the early years was also a lot like Carly on ATWT, which Richard Culliton had just come off of.)

• Members

Oh, I don't mean to say the rest of the writing team did not contribute. All soap writing is collaborative. But the headwriter calls the shots, and it wasn't Guza, that was my point. Sarah Brown says in the interview "new writers", which means to me that she was referring to the new writers at the top too.

• Members

That may be true, but Patrick Mulcahey isn't just a regular staff writer. From the interviews Mulcahey's given, it seems like he was the primary person behind what Carly became and how she was developed.

Carly was introduced in late 1996, and Guza came back in late 1997, so it wasn't a huge gap and Carly was still a relative newbie by the time Guza rejoined the show. Culliton and Harris were only Head Writers for the character for like 7 months, Guza's had years with her.

• Members

Carly was introudced in Spring 1996 if I recall right. Culliton's credited work aired for nine months (September 1996-June 1997). Then there was the no-headwriter period with Iacobuzio and Whitesell. Guza came back in December 1997. Carly was already well established by the time he came back.

• Members

I'm not sure about whether it was September or October that Culliton's work started airing (it wasn't November, I know that), but I'm sure about the June 1997, because I definitely remember he was credited on both PC and GH for a week or so.

Archived