"Rinna Says Soaps Will Be Dead in 5 Years"

• Members

They also kinda screwed themselves with the Kimberly explosion season finale. Much like Marlena's possession on DOOL, once you go to that far out a place (And believe me - I *LOVED* Kimberly blowing up the building. What an amazing season that was!), it's really hard to sustain it and out-do yourself. DOOL definitely had the same problem post-Reilly. It's great in the short-term, but in the long-term, not so much.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tell you what....she is a strange bird :lol: but I am not going to make fun of her on this one!! 5 years maybe a bit too quick to predict for such a thing to happen but I will not be surprised if it does happen. Soaps are not EVOLVING and apparently longtime viewers who are the ones keeping soaps alive do not like the idea of evolving as well. But apparently it seems even longtime viewers could be getting fed up as well, not a good sign.

This genre is fighting an uphill battle and what it all boils down to is the "bottom line". I figured Guiding Light was going to go soon, I thought they had another year at least, but it appears CBS Corp. got spooked at how much money their TV division is losing so yeah, I don't think I will "mock" her...this time.

• Members

LOL! No, I was referencing how she was on street corners, with signs saying "Honk if you want me on the new Melrose Place". To get herself hired. I was just saying you don't see any of TIIC pullign stunts like that to get people to watch their soaps.

• Members

Yeah, they do need to evolve like everything else on TV or they become extinct, the networks will continue to research and try to come up with an easier and cheaper product to replace them, probably doing that now. I am eagerly anticipating what they are going to do about replacing GL. And of course Y&R has been the #1 soap for the last 20 years but I am no longer impressed by that considering the group and the state of the soaps we have now. The other shows are almost so bad that they make Y&R look way better than it really is. Nothing says we have to settle for mediocrity than such a comparison! :lol: Soaps have lost that spark to pull newer viewers in and are draining the loyal viewers that they have now. Heck my own mother has now stopped watching soaps because of the redundancy and now watches other things.

Archived