The Catlins

• Members

Friday, May 18, 1984

We've seen part of this episode before (the gambling scenes). It's nice to see it in it's full content. This must be very early in Alice Mitchell's run. 

Another mention of the unseen Valerie Krystopolis. 

The decision to focus on only two stories was an interesting choice. Not necessarily one I would have made, but I think the writers were trying to mirror Beau's minor windfall with the decline of the Catlin fortune. 

This is a very P&G group of actors both past and present at the time of this episode. Michael Forest had only been playing T.J. for less than three months when this was filmed. Forest just fits very comfortably into the role. Then tension between Jonathan and Dirk is interesting and had the potential to be capitalized upon. I believe the Catlins boat was seized because of the drug shipments Dirk Stack had been running through the Catlin freighters while he was in cahoots with Cullen Quinn. Jonathan's drug commission may have been the ones to take down the Catlin ships. Then again, I may be adding subtext that really wasn't suppose to be there. 

The gambling stuff is a kick off to a summer storyline involving horse racing. In the July 1984 episode, Jacqui can be seen sitting at the track drinking a coke while Maggie Catlin walks by. There ends up being a bit of a triangle with Jacqui, Beau, and Woody as Woody had lost out on a chance with Maggie when she choose Dirk. By the fall, Woody and Jacqui are living together. In December, it comes out that Jacqui and Dr. Peter Crane, Vanessa's ex-husband and Jennifer Catlin's love interest, knew each other in Europe where Peter had treated Jacqui for a brain tumor that may or may not be operable. Shortly thereafter, Jacqui becomes pregnant and she and Woody make plans to marry with the tumor forgotten (it may have been resolved, I've seen only a handful of episodes) but now threatened by the potential of Maggie Catlin returning one day to Atlanta from Washington, D.C. Whether Maggie actually came back, it is unknown. Like Valerie, Maggie is mentioned a lot in the episodes I've seen but rarely seen.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The last of the episodes Tony Wright has. 

The ship storyline is definitely not my favorite. While I think the stuff with Jack Mahoney and Stacy Manning is pretty standard fare, I enjoyed it. I also didn't realize that Vanessa had lost her arm in a car accident prior to her arrival. 

For @slick jones, Stacy Manning said her mother's name was Ellen McKaufsky (spelling?). Stacy changed her name when she became a television reporter. 

• 9 months later...