Guiding Light and Saturday Night Live

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although that joke was SO not funny(white viewers? did anyone even bother doing their research? There are far funnier things they could have come up with), screw these sensitive GL fans.

I remember Leno doing a joke about Sunset Beach getting canned. He said something to the effect of, "It's the only time anyone has ever been excited about the beach closing."

And yes, I AM a Sunset Beach fanboy!

• Members
I think you just misunderstood. As stated Leno has been planning on leaving the Tonight Show. This new show at the earlier time period is something different. The Tonight Show will remain as is in its current time slot with a new host taking over

• Members

Thank you.

That joke was just...bizarre and pointless. Hello, SNL! Black people haven't watched you since Eddie Murphy left! I'm almost 100% positive that MADtv had more black viewers.

I can deal with comedy and jokes and everything, but I can't deal with it when it comes from people who don't know anything about daytime in the first place. "Oh look, Guiding Light is canceled? That's still on?" That's just like those "Look, oh my god, Kevin Bacon was on that show!! So sad that it's being canceled! Look, Calista Flockhart got her start as a star on this show!!!" people. I hate that [!@#$%^&*] with the heat of a thousand nuns.

• Members

Why do you hate that? It is a source of pride for the soaps themselves to point to their famous alums. That was included in the P&G press release. I am certainly proud that Another World starred Morgan Freeman and Ray Liotta.

• Members

It's when they make those performers and their characters seem more important than they were that ticks me off, especially when it means ignoring the people who *really* made an impact. Calista Flockhart was little more than a day-player, yet articles act like she was on contract or something. See this.

It's like...why mention these people instead of the people who gave/have given 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, or more years of service to the show?

• Members

It's funny in pieces. You can't judge the whole, but bits.

Tina Fey was consistently funny. And this season as Sarah Palin.

Justin and D*ck in a Box was funny.

Lots of funny bits, even if the whole show is less consistently funny. And that's fine. As long as there's a little bit of joy, at that hour of the morning, who cares if the rest is filler?

Archived