Y&R Jill Foster Abbott

• Members

Okay so I was thinking about this recently while watching some videos of Brenda Dickson as Jill Abbott back in the 80s and although I adore her as Jill, I absolutely love Jess Walton as Jill. For me it's always been a tie but when I see Walton playing a serious Jill, I don't see Dickson being able to do that in a believable manner. Still, Dickson always made a fabulous bitch! Anyway, the point I am getting at is for those Y&R fans out there, who do you prefer as Jill, Walton or Dickson? What do you like or dislike about each actresses portrayal of the character. I know 2 other actresses portrayed Jill between 1980-1983, but Walton and Dickson are the two most significant here.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I definitely prefer Walton. Without question, I feel she is the superior actress and the only one who could play Jill the way she has been written for the last twenty or so years.

Brenda Dickson was wonderful when Jill was a youthful vixen. Her work with Jeanne Cooper is second to none. I don't begrudge her the praise she deserves for the years she played Jill beautifully. I don't know how Walton would have been as a young Jill, she may have been just as good, we'll never know.

What I am sure about is that Brenda Dickson's Jill would not be around currently, like many of her ilk (think OLTL's Tina, Gabrielle or Alex and AW's Iris) the Jill Foster Abbott Brenda Dickson played burned herself out in the 80s. The OTT style just didn't cut it in the 90s and it certainly isn't around in the 2000s.

I like to think that Brenda Dickson played Jill Foster Abbott the Girl and Jess Walton plays Jill Foster Abbott the Woman. Jess' portrayal is angrier, harder, worldlier and more like a woman who is the sum of her experiences. The moment I said "Brenda Dickson who?" was when Phillip was killed off in 89...the way Jess Walton looked at Jeanne Cooper just sent off this wave of tragedy, when Jill proclaimed that his death was all Kay's fault, I believed Jill, I felt for Jill, I knew what Jill meant. Jess Walton conveyed a sense of loss, as if Kay had taken everything away from her, that I've yet to see repeated by anyone in the soap opera medium.

Since then, Jess has made Jill her own. She's picked up two Emmys, before they became a joke, lead major storylines and always stayed true to her individual portrayal of Jill. I know that Bill Bell adored Jess Walton and considered her one of his greatest finds, I concur with Mr Bell.

• Members

Very nicely said, DaytimeFan, ICAM. Dickson deserves praise, certainly, and I loved the dry way in which she delivered all her bitchy lines. But Jess Walton is a talent of immense proportions, and I prefer her portrayal; she allowed Jill to grow, to become more dimensional, to have more depth, and she played the heck out of every little thing.

• Members

Walton has outlasted Dickson and made Jill her own.

Watching a YouTube clip where Dickson flashed back to 70's Jill/Phillip scenes showed how the character and her approach had changed.

Jill was alone in her hotel suite and reflecting on the past.Every move,gesture and expression was extremely mannered and diva like.In the flashbacks Jill was soft and shy-it was quite a contrast.

Jess took the over the top 80's Jill and imbued her with earthiness and smarts.

Still wish she was dressed and styled better these days!

• Members

Without a doubt, Jess Walton gives Jill her (literal) fierceness. She is such an intense and accomplished actress that she can totally sell Jill's every emotion. Dickson during her last run was an awful actress.

Lately, though, I've been wishing that TPTB give Jill back some of her femininity. Brenda Dickson was very feminine and when Jess Walton first came on, she was SUCH a goddess with her long wavy hair, jewels and gowns. Just because she's a little older with an age-appropriate haircut doesn't mean she needs to hide the All-Woman. In fact, I would be thrilled if she grew her hair out instead of trying to ape Gloria's "Cruella bob."

[/superficial]

• Members

DaytimeFan, I totally agree with you. That's why it's hard for me to pick one and say she was better than her. They both really standout to me. I mean Jess is incredible and Brenda was fabulous. Like I had initially said, when I see Jill being serious and carrying scenes with depth and emotion, Jess has that down instantly, you can feel the intensity. Brenda on the other hand was so diva (which is why I love her), I don't think that would have worked out. In their own ways they are great. Brenda is THE Queen of Camp, hands down. Jess could play both versions stunningly. Also, I don't think Brenda would have stayed into the 1990s, I always had the feeling that if she didn't get fired, she probably would have quite at some point.

• Members

I think she morphed into that during her second run on Y&R. I remember reading one of her blogs on her website (even though she claims to be dyslexic) :rolleyes: LaDickson stated during her second run, it was after her divorce and she had been to Paris many times, drove a Rolls Royce know a great deal about fashion, would bring her own clothes to the set, etc. During her first run, she was very poor, came from a lower class background so I take it she was more down to earth prior to her marriage to a well know Hollywood dentist. I think all of that contributed to her diva mentality and especially with the change in how Jill was being written when she returned as opposed to how Jill was from 1973-1980, when Brenda was first in the role. On E! True Hollywood Story on Y&R, they claim Jill was "sweet and innocent" in the beginning. However, on Brenda's pop-up video over the E! True Hollywood Story, Brenda claims Jill was sweet but NEVER innocent.

Check these out...

LaDickson Pop-Up Video Part 1

La Dickson Pop Up Video Part 2

ETA: Had to re-do the links

• Members

I actually prefer Dickson. Jess Walton has talent, but I find her performances tedious. Dickson played Jill over-the-top, and made her more fun to watch. I also wonder if Walton isn't bored with the role after all these years. There are scenes where she sleepwalks her way through, not all the time, but too often.

Archived