B&B: Week of March 2, 2009

• Members

I think would be a mistake to put an established straight character like Owen into a gay storyline. In fact, I think B&B would be the worst possible vehicle for a gay storyline. It's much more of a Y&R thing, don't you think?

But why wouldn't the actors permit it?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Y&R could have done a gay story at one time (not with the people currently running Y&R), but I don't think B&B would know how to write a gay story. They'd either have a social issue plot ending with the character disappearing after a few months, or the character (if he's male) would fall in love with Brooke, Katie, or Donna, or (if she's female) Nick or Ridge.

• Members

How is Owen an established straight character? We know nothing about Owen other than that he's a former P.I. who came to town because he knew Marcus' mom was loaded. Why would it be out of the realm of possibility to assume that Owen was pursuing Donna in an attempt to get ahold of some Forrester cash, but secretly wanted some Rick action?

I'm still not convinced ole Bucky doesn't have a little sugar in the tank, either.

Alot of actors are concerned with being typecast post-gay role. Especially if it's one of the first roles you've ever played. And it could be someone's own personal issues with playing such a character.

It could be a "family thing," but I was always under the impression that Bell Shows didn't have gay characters because the one lesbian story Y&R did try to do in the late 70's nearly killed the show's ratings. It has nothing to do with whether they are card carrying Republicans.

That blind "It's a Family Thing" statement is loaded and could make one assume the Bells are homophobic. Which, if they are, then I'd rather have that come from quotes in interviews interpreted by the reader than blind speculation based on their personal politics(stuff we only know only from the surface).

• Members

IMHO, bell shows dont have a gay char because they like to mix and mingle and weave a group of people in romantic story lines, if they made a char gay they would have to bring on a few new gay char;s for that person at some point and idk, i just dont see it. however, the easy way out of this is bisexual, but soaps dont seem to understand this.

they could make a char bi, bring on a gay person for them, and have them fall for a str8 friend and whatnot.

idk.

• Members

I didn't mean to imply that the Bells are homophobic. They are not.

What I meant to imply is exactly what you stated above, the lesbian storyline from the 70s nearly killed Y&R and from then on Bill Bell was adamant that it never be tried again because the reaction he got was soooo negative that it nearly cost him his show.

The Bells may be Republicans, but it certainly doesn't mean that Republicans are homophobic, Gerald Ford wasn't and I'm sure many, if not the majority, aren't as well.

• Members

Damn....I'm watching Tuesday's B&B right now and what was even worse than Uncle Rick and Steffy in post-coital bliss was seeing Steffy's unbelievable "walk of shame."

I know the show is trying to sell glamor, but come ON! Where is Steffy's jacked up hair, makeup, clothes, and forgetting her cellphone?

I only wished I looked half as put together as Steffy after leaving some dude's house.

Archived