How GH can Improve

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great ideas here, Dave. A few comments/reactions -

Playing with a set of parameters (as we often do when we write fanfic!), I don't think Sonny/Jason/Spinelli could be written off permanently. How about finally send Sonny to jail, marking the beginning of a new arc for him. Perhaps he could meet a manipulative Jeremy Cartier in jail and the two could plan the ultimate "business" once they get out of jail, while unbeknownst to Sonny Jeremy is merely using him.

As for Spinelli's death... unfortunately the character has become part of the show's twisted moral center. Killing him off would be detrimental to an already shaky audience. Perhaps tie him to Jimmy Lee Holt? Perhaps he's Jimmy's son? We know next to nothing about Spinelli's history, so there's no reason this wouldn't work.

Jason can act as a supporting role in the drama, trying to reach out to a distant Sonny while he's in jail. He could rekindle his relationship with Sam and play into your Cassadine story.

Recast Lucky with Jonathan Jackson and put him with Elizabeth? For me? :rolleyes::o

Great ideas, Dave. When is the signature David Evan Smith role arriving?

• Members

LOL, thanks!

Thanks, but honestly, I'M not that crazy about my own ideas. And it's a pipe dream because Sonny would not leave the canvas so easily. It's definitely harder for me to conceive of taking GH in my own direction with necessary characters like Alan, AJ, and Justus not available to revitalize the Qs. Skye was de-Quartermained and written out. Ned and Dillon stripped of anything that could drive story. Lois's return was mishandled and probably shouldn't be attempted a second time, with yet another recast. For the Holt storyline to succeed, it would heavily rely on strong casting.

There was a time years ago, that I had crafted a Heather/Alan/Monica/Rick/Tracy story that was delicious, but with Alan and Rick both dead it leaves a lot missing! It was GOLD! Such a shame.

Lucas and Bobbie, however, could have a lot of story to mine, and the return of the Jerome heir, Carter, would open up a lot more of Lucas wanting to find out about his biological history, leading him to seek out Tiffany Hill (his biological aunt, and only other remaining blood relative), and we'd learn that Tiffany and Sean's marriage never recovered from the bullet that sent Sean out of Port Charles for surgery. Sean was a crippled shell of his former self, and it eroded their marriage and Tiffany hasn't seen or heard from Sean in years. Sean can later return with an agenda to get revenge on Luke for ruining his life. There was also a question about whether Robert Scorpio was Lucas's actual biological father, so that might need to be reopened.

It's fine. GH has SUCH a decaying canvas that it's hard to breathe the kind of life into it that I would want to. So many core families have been decimated or ruined and I can only see that as deliberate on Guza's part to leave Sonny's family as the only one strong enough to support story.

As I said earlier, what I posted was my dream scenario, if I wasn't under a mandate to keep Sonny front and center.

Lee, this is treason for you to say that Spinelli is a necessary character. I thought of him as a Holt, but I wouldn't wish him on the Quartermaines, not even on their worst day.

Sonny got a pretty decent open-ended exit from me, when I'd just as quickly love to watch him burn to death tied to a bench on the docks. On-screen. For a full episode. In the last fiction I wrote for GH, I had Sonny fake his own death in an exploding limo. But this exit allows Sonny to either continue searching for Dante outside of Port Charles on-screen, or come back in a few months either not having found him, or following Dante back to Port Charles.

I would be eager to see Helena back and taking an interest in Sam. The fact that Sam is a Cassadine is largely glossed over, and I'd probably establish Robert Scorpio as her father in order to open up a history between Robert and Alexis (who have still never shared scenes) and make Sam Robin's half-sister. Besides, with Anna as Police Commissioner, and Alexis as District Attorney, both of Robert's women would be working side-by-side every day.

I might have to play JJ Holt, Lee.

• Members

Sonny will marry Claudia and ride off into the sunset.

Ned will return married to Lucy Coe, leading to a big diaster at the Q's Mansion

Monica/Scotty/Bobbie/Mike will be in nice middle aged Quad storyline.

Luke and Robert discover that the aussie kid could belong one of them from a returned Holly.

Carmen Duncan or Victoria Wyndham joins the cast as Edward's sister Victoria Quartermaine and shares a past with Mike.

more to come later!

• Members

It may be treason but it's unfortunately true at the moment. Spinelli's become the writers' makeshift moral center in a twisted way. I don't think he needs to stay there, but I can't imagine him dying.

I remember your Parallel GH fiction where you Sonny faked his death with the car. That was awesome. It also led to Carly finding love with Nikolas and having her daughter, with Sonny becoming what I always thought he should be to Carly: a moment in her life that she learned from and moved on from.

I love that you want to put Jax/Alexis together. The only time I've ever liked Jax was during his faux-marriage to Alexis.

• Members

I don't think that GH needs to be overhauled. If the airtime that Carly, Sonny, Jason and Spinelli get was reduced, the show would instantly improve. I'll take a stab it.

Have Sonny play a supporting role to his SORAS Michael and Kristina's stories. Instead of running the mob and diddling Claudia, Sonny will spend time trying to keep his children out of trouble and out of the mob.

Spinelli would return to being Jason's sidekick with minimal airtime and no unbelievable love interests.

Carly could work with Sonny to help their kids causing her marriage to Jax to fall apart. Jax will be drawn to Kate.

Already, the mob airtime is down to 40%, half as usual.

Flesh out the Qs by reviving the younger generation. Let Justus have a long lost teen son who shows up to claim his inheritance and bonds with Edward. He can be Kristina's potential love interest.

Have a mysterious young girl start working at Kelly's. She can turn out to be a SORAS Lila who has run away from her mother, Skye and is seeking revenge on Sonny and Jason for her father's murder. She can start off using Michael to get to Sonny and Jason, but begin to develop feelings for him.

Meanwhile Rick leaves the mob life. He and Alexis bond over Molly's issues and are drawn to each other again.

Build up a Liz/Lucky/Rebecca/Nikolas quad and Lulu/Johnny/Maxie/Matt quad.

Robin recovers from PPD, but as things begin to get back to normal with her and Patrick, Faison kidnaps Emma. Anna, Robert, Robin and Patrick go on adventure to save Emma. After saving Emma, they settle back into their lives at GH and an old flame obsessed with Patrick joins the staff and begins to systematic destroy their lives.

Get rid of Ethan and Olivia.

• Members

Ethan just showed up so why plan for him to be a major character after 2 minutes. This is exactly what is wrong with GH. How many young males has Guza brought on to rekindle the old Luke and Laura dynamic with Lulu and Mr. X only to kill them off or discard them. If Ethan is going to stay, he needs to slowly integrated onto the show's canvas and not be an instant airhog.

• Members

Unfortunately, the damage that Guza has wrought is so far gone that the only remedy for GH is to pull a Bobby-in-the-shower and have Jason wake up from his coma, like, 5 years ago. Surrounded by Alan, Monica, Edward, Justus... and AJ.

It strikes me that the writing has gotten very agenda-pushing and all about internecine power struggles between actors.

Mo vs Steve,

JFP writing Claudia-the-child-shooter during the writers' strike, thereby pissing SJB off,

Laura Wright happy with whatever they give her,

Maurice not wanting Sonny with Carly but with Kate,

SJB only extending her contract if Claudia gets story with Sonny,

Frons pushing Kelly, Frons pushing JaSam,

Steve pissed about Frons pushing JaSam, Steve pushing Liaison,

Guza pushing Luke & Tracy at the expense of Luke & Laura,

Guza pushing Jason and Spinelli,

Mo wanting Guza to push Jason & Sonny...

THE [!@#$%^&*]?! Enough of this [!@#$%^&*]. What happened to the audience? Who they like to watch? This whole show is written to satisfy the top tier of "talent" and the HW's inexplicable settling of accounts with certain actors (he must have hated Billy Warlock violently).

• Members

YES! Diversity is needed badly on this show. Where is Laniey? She seems to come out during February, Black History Month. This year she didn't come out at all.

Please, let Kate stop pinning away for Claudia's husband! She needs to stop threatening Claudia.

GH will never make Port Charles look like America. Jewish, African-America, Native American, Gay, Asian, etc.....

Archived