Cheesy soapnames

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked the name Seneca Beaulac. It was perfect for that character because he was of Seneca Indian and French Canadian descent. His ethnicity was part of his character when he was first introduced; he spoke of it often and had various artifacts in his home. LOL, the name I actually didn't care for on RH was Siobhan. I've since come across a lot of Irish names that are spelled totally different than how they sound. I just thought how different characters enunciated it differently and how it didn't look that nice written out. :lol: Actually, RH was pretty spot on with giving their characters names to go with their backgrounds--Francis, Patrick, Kathleen, Siobhan, Maeve Ryan, Giovanni (Jack) Fenelli, Tiso Novotny, the Feldmans and Greenbergs, the upper crust Coleridges and Woodards.

I thought the name Michael was overused on GH...from Michael "Sonny" Corinthos (can we have any more triple Godfather references???), to Mike Corbin, to little Michael Corinthos. And Sonny's best friend was Michael "Stone" Cates. Years earlier, there was little Mikey Webber.

• Members

I like Seneca too as a name. I wasn't really a RH watcher, but I saw it enough times, and Seneca and Rae Woodard are the two characters who made an impression for some reason. Rae Woodard to me says Upper East Side of NY, although Rae is a name I would have changed. Now Geraldine Saxon is a name and a half. The only other Geraldine I ever heard of was Flip Wilson's alter ego, but both Geraldines worked for me.

GH has mostly poor names. Robert Scorpio (or just plain Scorpio to friend and foe alike) was probably their best name, but Cezar Faison ranks up there along with Helena Cassadine, Celia Quartermaine and Decker Moss for names that give personality. Sonny Corinthos...Corinthos would have been cool if it wasn't associated with someone so blue collar, and the nickname Sonny was tired and automatically a cliche from the day he arrived. Corinthos should be the name of a Greek shipping magnate or something, not some punk from Brooklyn.

• Members

LMAO bc 10 years ago, before I was even surfing the web, I thought to myself, "Greenlee is such an ODD name". It bugged the hell outta me so much that I hated Greenlee, until she got over that wimpy version of Scott, and ran Becca Tyree over. Then the BITCH Greenlee Smythe became my favorite new character. And yes, Woodruff and Millicent is pure genius - old money indeed!

Zarf might take the cake though, but being a tranny does make it a little more acceptable.

• Members

Technically... technically, Zarf can't use the tranny pass because Zoe was the tranny. Zarf was the musician. Freddie was the man.

"The writer" blames Chip Hayes for that name. Speaking of "the writer," let's not forget about "Jackson Montgomery."

"The writer" said that name came to her while she was in the, um *aHeM* "bathroom." Don't worry, though. I won't be devious enough to draw a connection between rumored nasal activities going around in the 1980s at AMC and how "the writer" was in the *CoUgH* bathroom *cOuGh*and came up with that 8 gram name. That would be a totally low blow on my part.

• Members

Good point with Zarf/Zoe/Freddie.

LOL at 'The writer' --- thank you Cady McClain!

Speaking of Jackson Montgomery. You do realize this 8 gram name helped me ace my state capital quizzes in middle school? Jackson (Mississippi) and Montgomery (Alabama) happen to sit right next to each other on the US Map. Jackson-Montgomery. Ahh, and that bitch...er 'the writer'...thought she was clever!

• Members

It also doesn't hurt that they're from the south -- South Carolina. Did we ever learn their parents' names? I wouldn't be surprised if they were Raleigh and Charlotte Montgomery. :rolleyes:

I'm just taking it from "the writer's" own lips. She was being interviewed in 2004 by Walt Willey on the Soap Net Emmy Pre-Show and he brought up the fact that "the writer" created his character and asked if it was true that the character came to her in the bathroom. "The writer" laughed and said something along the lines of how she went into the bathroom one day and on her way out she thought "JACKSON MONTGOMERY!"

So funny I forgot to snort laugh.

Anyway, she was indeed an associate head writer back then. Just like Chip Hayes, who the writer credited as being the one who named "Zarf." I'm sure "the writer" didn't actually create the character, but she definitely takes credit for naming him... while in the *cOuGh* bathroom *CoUgH*

• Members

I think this is sort of on topic here, but I was looking at Google Maps a couple of days ago, and I found the real Genoa City, and everyone knows that the Bells named Y&R's Genoa City after the real Wisconsin city, but is it safe to assume that they also got some character names from there too? It's quite the quinky-dink that there's a Fenmore Lane, with Carlton Ct, Sterling Ct, and Chancellor Ct running off of it. Not to mention Elizabeth Lane nearby, as well as Williams Road and Carter St.

Archived