Digital TV Transition Pushed to June 12

applcin

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah yeah yeah, what makes them think that a majority of the people who haven't acted yet, will act before June? There are always going to be procrastinators who won't do anything. I can understand the coupon problem I suppose, but other than that, you can't say there wasn't warning. 14 MILLION expired. If those people hadn't gotten them, the 3 million would have, and we'd be fine. Where is this confusion coming from? I've been seeing commercials and scrolls across my screen on this issue for at LEAST a year, saying that if you have cable or a digital tv, you're fine.

I'm not debating the fact that you have to pay to get TV when you had it for free. If that was a huge issue, the government should've used more money for it.

• Members

Amen! It's not like people are just finding out about the transition or that the converter boxes where priced too high. They where just lazy and didn't think they needed one. My local ABC and CW affiliates said they'll still be switching over on the 17th, whether people are ready or not.

• Members

I agree that people have had plenty of time. But I can understand about confusion. I found out things I had been unaware of by doing a lot of researching online. For instance, I don't think a lot of people are aware that the converter boxes don't change the channels for you if you're recording multiple programs (I read that you need 2 boxes hooked up to accomplish that). Also, the older recording devices are not going to have numbers like 2.1, 4.1, etc. on their menus just because there's a box hooked up now. I had to tell one person at my work about the first issue, and another woman complained about the second issue when she got her box and tried unsuccessfully to program digital channels in her VCR (and there are still a lot of people with VCRs.) I've seen complaints by people that converter box timers "time out" rapidly. After my research, I ended up buying combo DVRs/VCRs with built in HD tuners for my secondary sets--I get the digital stations and it will change channels for me when recording multiple shows. I also got 1 converter box just to have, since it only cost me about $23 but it's still sitting in the box.

So, yeah, it's people's fault if they procrastinate, forget, etc., unless we're talking about some seniors or others for whom this kind of technology in general is just plain old confusing. But I do think there needs to be better, more specific information out there more frequently and blatantly...more than just the standard "if you have cable, satellite or a digital tv, you don't have to worry--everybody else does" message. I have occasionally seen more specific informational pieces aired on newscasts, "infomercial" type shows, etc., but the predominant messages broadcast are brief and don't answer many other questions people have.

Archived