Y&R: Anyone else jumpin' on the Phick Bus?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My brother is only 53 and he served in Vietnam. He enlisted in 1972 at 17 and fought until the end of the war. He and his best friend both went.

So no he would not have to be in his 60's.

Oh the date of birth given for Jack onscreen once was October 10, 1953 which makes Jack 55 and will turn 56 this year.

That means when Jack appeared in 1980 he was 27 years old.

As I said before there is no reason Jack couldn't have served in Vietnam. He could have been drafted and as others said not all rich folks dodged their service. Some of them actually served, and to make those judgements about anyone is just that a judgement.

And the question was not whehter Jack didn't serve or not - what boiled down was it was possible so William J. Bell was not rewriting history because that was never established. That is just your judgement of whether you think Jack served or not.

It was possible for him to serve. It was not established that he did not serve. He is the right age. So it was not a rewrite of history because it was never stated.

• Members

And haters will be Haters, hence their being anti fangurls, LOL!

BTW when somethang becomes OBVIOUS, like the supposed demise of Phick and reunion of Shick, then you can bet it aint gonna happen. This is "classic" Bell writing after all, LOL!

And whats with the personal attacks. We all have agendas when we are on the MBs, whether it be about a couple, a character, ratings, the writing. Doesnt make us any less of a fan of the show.

Back On topic. I thought the Phick scenes were great. JM and MS were AWESOME and were on FIRE, and yes I will ride on the Phick Bus

• Members

What some of you are calling personal attacks is just that taking it too personal. And it just reminds me of the old saying of if the shoe fits ......

It is not a personal attack at all, but just a venting from fans who are tired of the dire hard fanatical portions of fan bases who work to yes make their voice heard but do it at the expense of what is best for the show.

It is more of a we're as mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.

These campaigns that many of the fan bases have launched have been detrimental to other parts of the show.

I enjoyed the Nick & Phyllis scenes this week but not because they were with them or part of the couple - they were just good scenes. But that is not to say that I have not enjoyed the recent Nick & Sharon scenes too.

The stuff that fan bases do like the mass voting in online polls and magazine polls; the paroling of message boards and when something is said in a negative connotation about their fave then they rally their group and they all run to that site and defend in masses; the banning of members from boards because they are not fans of a pairing; the sheet campaigns and other type campaigns to make sure their fave stays front and center; the hate mail like was bestowed on Cady McClain and others because they were threats onscreen to a pairing; and so on. And all this about who has the biggest fan base or the most covers and etc. as if trying to prove to someone that your favorite is the most important part of the show. I remember last year with the EJ & EJami fan base saying well our board has more members than any other board on the Internet and that means EJami is the most important couple not only on Days but on soaps. If the powers that be know what is good for them then they won't do anything to anger us. As if they are saying you do what we want and give us our EJami or we will all quit watching and Days won't be around anymore.

All that is documented. And not every member of a fan base participates in it. Not every fan of any couple becomes a part of that. but they are there. And they are documented. It happens and it cannot be denied.

Those are the parts of the fan bases that we are all tired of. To me you can be a fan of the couple without going to the extreme. And all that stuff is the extreme.

And some of you say you are not a part of that but yet you are getting mad at us for calling them out on it. To me if you are taking it personal that speaks volumes to me.

I have no problem with anybody writing letters to anyone and letting them know who you like and don't like. We all do that. There is nothing wrong with that. I write letters telling them from time to time what parts of the show I like and don't like.

It is the going overboard and it being all about a couple or character and promoting them over the rest of the show. That is where it becomes a problem.

And I for one make no apologies for speaking out about it. It is time that the fans of the shows become a fan base of our own and unite to make sure the writers know that what we want too. And what we want is what is best for the show and some time that might mean what is good for a certain couple and sometimes it might not be.

• Members

Thank you. I might level criticism against this-or-that fanbase, but I am not juvenile enough to level it against this-or-that fan. So, if you are a member of the fanbase-in-question, and you do take what I say personally, then that's your problem.

Besides, as an online friend is quick to remind me sometimes, "It's just the Internet!".

• Members

Steve Frame, a big fat WORD to your last post. I have had it with these vocal obsessive fan bases. They want to cower the rest of us into submission or say whatever they want. They rig enough online polls and send enough crap to the soaps as it stands.

Oh, don't forget how LML fired Adrianne Leon because she gained weight. Of all the things LML did, I found that the most intolerable.

• Members

I am not as generous in forgiving MAB for the Victor vasectomy and Sharon/Paris mistakes.

Couldn't she look up the net?

There's nobody she could consult?

As for the Jack in Vietnam thing,sure it was possible,but didn't really fit in with the Jack character.I hated Jack as the loving husband.Luan was the stereotypical subservient Asian woman.All she did was mope around and then die.

After the initial intro of Keemo,nothing was done with him and now he has been forgotten,so the whole thing was pointless.

However,every writer has made these mistakes and contradicted what went before.

Bill Bell rewrote the Carl Williams story.We were expected to believe he had mysteriously disappeared a few short years ago,when it never happened!!

• Members

Their fight scene was probably one of the most "realistically" portrayed and written I have ever seen on this show. Rarely do we get soap writers writing such scenes that shows such rawness and vulnerability in a marriage, especially one that started under the circumstances that Nick and Phyllis did. It appears both Nick and Phyllis are going to have to deal with their issues each in their OWN way. I doubt very much that Phick will be over anytime soon, instead it appears they are going to go through an extremely painful process to get to the beginning of THEIR OWN story. I am dreading it and loving the angst and drama at the same time.

• Members

Absolute perfection Steve! I was there once, but no more. I learned the lesson the hard way, by having my family threatened by members of the 'opposing' fanbase. So I no longer go there. I have my favorites, and I'm not ashamed to tell anyone who they are, but what's best for the overall show should always be what's on my screen and not the writers pandering to one fanbase or the other.

And for the record, I'm definitely NOT on the Nick and Phyllis bus, BUT I did enjoy their scenes this week for what they were. I saw two actors doing their jobs very well.

• Members

It is just jaw-dropping the way this show has bounced back since 2007. If Y&R doesn't win best show at the Emmys there's no justice in the world.

Perfectly understandable, considering Billy was played at the time by Scott Seymour, the cross-eyed wonder.

Archived