2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Goutman lost his mind when he let Martha B go. CS as script editor wasnt very good. I dont know the whole show hadnt been flowing in years. Isn't Courtney Simon resposible for that? You would think she would put her 2 cents worth to Goutman about how awful his vision of the show was.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have always liked Courtney Simon. I have felt though she had "burned out" at ATWT and needed to move on. Her superiors need to do the same thing,LOL!

I remember when Josh Griffin was a scriptwriter at ATWT. I thought he did pretty good job. I am hoping he may be a shot in the arm for the show.

This show has so many writers who have been a Head writer or associate HW. I can only hope they are positioning themselves for a writers shake up soon!

• Administrator

A change is script editors isn't going to change a damn thing. It's just another example of dumb people making dumb decisions. Goutman sucks. I'm not surprise that moral is down (according to the DC article).

• Members

True. And false.

They definitely cannot change the major story directions etc., but at least, like Korte, they can make sure the dialogue shines and that every writers gets the material he or she is best at, that suits them best. No one asks for more than that.

Guza is severely burnt out and too infatuated with the mob, yet his writing team... The best in this business.

I am sad to see Courtney go. :( Perhaps she can go to GH, she worked for a while there in the late 90s. This might indeed turn out to be a very good thing for her: if ATWT gets cancelled, and it very likely already is, she will have secured a job with a soap that would last longer than ATWT. I hope.

• Members

Gotta ask. How do you know CS wasn't any good as a script editor? The "flow" of the show is up to the head writer, not the script editor. The script editor at ATWT tracks consistency of tone, character, style, to make the day to day scripts appear seamless, as if they were written by the same person. From everything I hear, CS was well loved by the script writers on ATWT. She worked well with them, and they respected her. I agree with Toups. This is another in a long line of stupid moves by Chris Goutman. CS has been with the show for decades, both in front of the camera and behind. She knows this show better than CG, and definitely better than JS! Bad move, Goutman, but that's pretty much all you're famous for these days.

• Members

Courtney is a great scriptwriter, I'm not totally sold on her editing style though. But whatever, when ATWT had a great writing team, she was good at selecting SW's and BW's that matched well together. But that was a few years ago and we've seen how far ATWT has fallen.

Courtney will hopefully find work someplace else. Though, since she's a "name" some shows might be hesitant to hire her for budget reasons.

Sarnoff is an assh*le, I've been telling everyone this for a while. He's part of the problem in daytime.

• Administrator

They worked together at SFT, SB, and SuBe. CS briefly wrote scripts for SuBe after AW was cancelled, so did Richard Culliton. Gary and CS might've crossed paths at AMC in 1996 but I'm not sure. Man, I need to update Courtney's profile. I don't even have her SuBe stint in her profile and a few more additions. Even though they haven't worked together that much, I do believe they're very close - correct me if I'm wrong.

• Administrator

Now that JHC has a new contract with AMC (according to DC), there's no point of Lisa De Cazotte being there. I want her join DAYS as a producer because I want my Passions family together :) and I want Noel Maxam to direct more.

• Members

Personally I hope you get your Lisa De Cazotte at DAYS. But AMC is still going to need staff producers (especially if some of the current ones- like Enza Dolce- don't make the move) so she might be sticking around.

I wonder if there's snowball's chance in hell of Francesca James returning as a producer.

• Members

Simon to OLTL! It wouldn't be be that far of a stretch with their scooping up of another P&Ger, Melissa Salmons.

Is Jo Anne Sedwick still on GL? If she's still in the business, I hope she finds a home with another soap.

I'm still waiting to hear that Goutman is bringing back Stern and Black, and Megan McTavish to ATWT. Perhaps that will happen after he hires Lynn Marie Latham.

• Members

Simon is a great script writer, but who knows if anyone wants someone of her caliber right now? It seems like they go for the most inexperienced and cheapest writers these days, if they hire anyone new at all.

Prior to this crappy new production model, Jo Anne Sedwick did a lot of GL's location shooting. She's in the credits for her location work for the episode where Maureen dies due to the car accident.

And Simon wrote the scripts for two of my favorite soap opera episodes, both on GL. The Roger and Holly scenes at the country club in 1993 where Holly throws a party for Ed, shortly after Roger/Holly had sex for the first time in nearly 20 years. Also, the episode in 1993 where Maureen discovers that Lilian had sex with Ed and she confronts Lilian about it, that was brilliantly written and one of the best and most heartfelt confrontations I've ever seen.

Nancy Curlee liked Simon's work and named her in the interview, so that's enough for me. :)

• Members

Boy, has Griffith stayed for long with GH or what? :lol: I actually never expected him to last, nor did I understand why they brought him in the first place, but still - if he's Guza's pal, Guza sure did fire him in a blink of an eye.

Archived