OLTL: Thoughts on Ron Carlivati

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R, and B&B or the matter, have always had an over the top stylized form of dialogue, it's just embedded into the identity of those shows. As you've said, it works for them. That doesn't mean it doesn't drive me nuts sometimes, and Y&R/B&B dialogue SO DOESN'T bode well when they're doing social-issue storytelling. LOL!

There's nothing playwriter-esque about OLTL's dialogue to me. To me, it's dialogue is akin to a cheap sitcom on the CW network.

GH has the most contemporary dialogue on daytime, if you ask me. Judge the dialogue alone between OLTL and GH, and you'll find an outstanding difference. GH's dialogue isn't as hockey and doesn't feel as unnatural at least IMO.

• Members

World Turner- I really do agree with you regarding GH. The conversations are extremely natural. Its actually very impressive.

Bold and the Beautiul is generally garbage from scripting to performances- Critically and ratingswise that show gets away with MURDER. And there is always some excuse given by the fans- Well that's just how B&B is, It its style.... It really bugs me.

And Oh my god World Turner- you just struck up a memory in me. I used to HOWL when watching Y&R in the late eighties and early nineties. I was only in my early teens. But honestly, ANY social issue storyline due to Y&R's scripts was like reading a junior high school pamphlet! Some of them were so preachy and soapy! Jessica's speech at the Abbott's dinner table regarding AIDS is a real howler- I am sorry and I mean no disrespect to anyone touched by AIDS. I am strictly talking scripts. (and its on Youtube).

And the V-8 thing on Y&R right now is a SCREAM. To hear Nikki even say V-8 made me giggle.

I think it is the juxtaposition of Y&R's truly beautiful and otherworldly look productionwise that has always mixed very oddly with realistic, hardhitting social issue storytelling. Its a weird combo.

Back to OLTL's dialogue- I will say that there is an OC-ish "I am just so clever-ness" to OLTL's scripts at times...

• Members

All Soaps on television today need Ron Carlivati or a Ron Carlivati type, who sticks to the soaps history and use the vets. OLTL is one of the only soaps on today that actually have the beginning family in spotlight. GL: The Bauers are all gone, ATWT: You barely see the hughes or the stewarts, B&B: focus to much on certain characters, Y&R: Jill and Kay are the only original characters, i wish the could use a brooks sister or two, AMC: Tad is looking for the characters that are not coming back to the canvas with him and they could use more Martins or a Tyler or two. GH: The Quartermaines are all dead either by God's will or by firing, too much focus on Sonny, the original cast members been gone. Days: Never show Doug and Julie much, casted a Mickey and never see him. Nick was jailed, great opportunity to bring on his grandmother, mother and/or father for a few episodes/ recurring. So in other words i like Ron and he is doing a wonderful job, he brought me Tina, Cain, David Vickers, Alex, Max (I wish i could see him more), and Nathan Fillon's Joey (Dorian's Joey), and a few others. I wish he hadn't ruin Hunt Block and brought him on as Wolek or Lord. He is doing good he has soaps biggest supercouple today Gigi and Rex. and oh how i love Nora and Clint as a couple, make me not care if she kiss Bo again.

• Members

Frank Valentini is at OLTL for a reason he has been with the show since 1985 in every position until he was named executive producer in 2002. Also he manages to keep the show looking expensive, is available to afford comebacks and everything. OLTL had no cuts at all during AMC massive cutfest. In fact the show was UNDERBUDGET FOR THE YEAR. They had crunched a yearly budget that still has money left over and it will just carry over to 2009. OLTL does not pay their vets as much as AMC plus Frank uses a smaller team in his production/writing. Frons has made no secret he loves Valentini, the only way I see FV leaving is of his own accord but he grew up on OLTL. He is not the hugest visionary but he keeps costs down and managed to produce an expensive looking show on a small budget.

• Members

Johnnysbro- Do you think OLTL's vision is basically Frons and Carlivati's?

OLTL is ABC's best looking soap by far- from lighting to sets, and it is obvious that Valentini has alot of musical influences... but I don't sense any show vision from him at all. OLTL seems to give the audience a little bit of everything. Humor, Humane drama, lurid drama, camp, romance...

It must be said that Valentini is a genius when it comes to budgeting because you would never know if from the actors continously returning to the show- Andrea Evans, Tuc Watkins, Tonja Walker, Florencia Lozano, Susna Haskell... Its insane!

Archived