Screen Actors Guild Awards Nominations

Toups

• Administrator

There wasn't any "big performances" but the entire cast was good from the kids to the teens to the adults.

I'm so happy that a film with bascially unknown actors are winning to many awards. Hopefully the Oscar is next. :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know he was at the Oscar's a few years ago to collect his trophy and was there a following year because that is when he got all upset about Chris Rock's comment about Jude Law.

I don't think we can make assumptions if we only "hear" something but actually have to see it then make a judgement.

• Members

Watch someone else win there too. Mickey/Sean and Kate/Meryl cancel each other out and an underdog wins. Like in 2003 when Jack Nicholson won the Globe and Daniel Day-Lewis the SAG and Adrien Brody came out of no where to win the Oscar.

• Administrator

Did anyone see Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger's daughter, Ireland? I cannot believe that girl is only 13 - she's already taller than her 5'7 mother....... and that dress she was wearing.....so not appropriate for a 13 year old. LOL At first, I thought that was Alec's new young girlfriend.

She is so going to be trouble when she gets older. LOL

• Members

All the winners were very predictable to me. I knew that with Kate in Supporting for The Reader, Meryl would walk away with the Lead Actress SAG for her underwhelming performance in Doubt. Sorry, if she wins another Oscar for this role, it's an injustice. This wasn't her best performance.

Whoever wins the BAFTA for Lead Actress WILL win the Oscar. The BAFTA'S do a much better job of predicting the Oscar races in acting than any other award show.

And Slumdog Millionaire winning the ensemble award is NOT a surprise. Many films with few actor nominations at the SAG's themselves have walked away with that prize, and they LOVE giving it to "the little film that could." Hence why Sideways and Little Miss Sunshine won a few years back, as did Crash.

Also, I was SO GLAD Freida Pinto acknowledged the child actors in Slumdog Millionaire. Some of them are better than people 5 times their age. They really carried a good part of that movie. I'm also glad she acknowledged Loveleen Tandan too, who Co-Directed the film and directed all those inexperienced child actors too. Well done.

• Members

Whoever wins the BAFTA will win Lead Actress/Lead Actor. With the Brits also being a significant voting bloc at the Oscar's, the BAFTA's are the premiere Oscar predictor, especially in the acting races.

Exactly, the passion Slumdog Millionaire has evoked from people within the industry this year is unlike anything I've ever seen in recent years. This film came out of nowhere to be a critics darling, to a darling at all the Guild's, and now it is the clear Oscar front-runner. And it will win the BAFTA in a few weeks time.

Slumdog Millionaire came together very well as an ensemble. It might not have had any big name actors in it, or some stand-out performances, but everything clicked and everything clicked well in regards to the ages represented in the film.

• Members

SAG lets the studios pick the placement of their actors for their awards. The Oscar's leave that up to the individual voters. Harvey Weinstein campigned for Kate for Supporting, but Oscar voters knew she was a Lead in that film and went for it, just like they did at the BAFTA's. Since the Oscar's prohibit more than one nomination per category for an actor, some type of compromise was reached to campaigned for Kate as Supporting for The Reader, while a seperate campaign was planned for her for Revolutionary Road in the Lead category. However, Oscar voters were smart and wiseley chose her best performance for the Lead category.

I would say the BAFTA's will be the deciding factor as to who is the frontrunner for the Lead Actress Oscar. I mean, Diane Keaton did win all the Supporting Actress awards before the Oscar's for her performance in Annie Hall, but she deservedly won the Lead Actress Oscar at the end of award season for the same role.

• Members

This is just based on what I heard from those that have seen Revolutionary Road and The Reader. The Reader was the better performance of the two so I do think she will take the award but this is just basing it on hearing and not actually seeing either.

Archived