OLTL SOD Spoilers

• Members

Thank Goodness that we have hopefully witnessed the death of Todd and Blair. I just wish that they would bring Evangeline back. I don't think she would support him in this trial against Marty, but he obviously needs her. The Todd & Marty storyline was beyond sick. I need Evangeline back to make me like Todd again.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CLASSIC! And Amen. The entire show revolved around her too., So I stopped watching for 3 years or so.

Oh and I feel the rumblings of the next Tarty earthquake right here in this thread.

Have any of you seen the show this week? Its been excellent.

Zendallfan- Do you like anything about OLTL, at all? Excuse me, attall? (Viki's way) And not the sets or lighting.

• Members

Woah, woah, woah! :-) I agree with you, Marceline, and I am not a fan of this story at all. Just trying to play Devil's Advocate.

I'm all about the right for everyone to come to their own opinions, and (in fact) welcome it. If there was something in the tone of my original post that suggested "Oh, you other fans don't understand what they're really trying to say here", that so wasn't what I meant to do. (Although re-reading my post, I can see where that subtext might have been misconstrued)

I'm just saying the way everybody involved (ABC, OLTL and SOD) throw around statements like "It's not rape" is completely lazy and irresponsible. And the fact that they continue to do so after everything that transpired over that insidious "Todd and Marty finally make love!" promo is completely appallling.

Sorry if something else came across in my original post. :D

• Members

You know what I'm starting to sense: The individual stories can be judged on their merits: Some like the Todd-Marty story and others don't. Some like Greenlee on AMC and others don't.

But the PROMOS are what are really inflaming the viewers. "Real Greenlee", "finally make love". I wonder if fan reaction would be more temperate...more wait-and-see-and-judge-on-merits if this promotional machine were less lurid, less insensitive?

• Members

Ahh. Well then I clearly took it wrong. My apologies.

It's almost funny. We fight about this tooth and nail on these boards but nobody cares. If this were happening on a primetime or cable show people would be buzzing about it but its a soap, so its essentially a tree falling in the woods.

• Members

This Todd/Marty story (and this is just my personal opinion) would have sold better if we had understood Todd in the first arc of the story. Trevor played it so vague, and the writing was so obtuse from Todd's perspective, that we didn't know if he was plotting revenge or his own redemption by holding Marty. If there was some window into what Todd was thinking and feeling throughout this, maybe (and that's a HUUUUUUGE maybe) I might be more on board.

I don't disagree with the statement that now we're getting great pay-off and wonderful performances. That was never in question. It's just the message this sends out to the world about rape, rapists, and their victims, is completely horrific. And honestly, if they had told this story about a rape victim with amnesia and their rapist with two characters where we didn't see the horrific act play out over YEARS back in the early nineties, you would never see this outcry.

Of course, like you said, Marceline, all this debate and discussion on the boards, and the ratings don't show any of it. Going up or down from week to week by a tenth of a point proves that, like you said, it's a tree falling in the forest. If there was some gigantic jump in the ratings (or plummet) then maybe one side of his argument would be proven right. But from what I can tell, this story isn't doing much good or bad for the show in the end.

It's certainly generating a lot of online debate. But in terms of Nielsen, it's no different than any other story.

• Members

Speaking as a rape victim... I would hate to think that I would ever lose my memory and be in a similar situation as Marty. However, rape is forcing someone to submit to sexual intercourse. Marty was compliant, not forced. It doesn't matter whether he lied to her. Todd's sin was deceit, not rape. Todd also offered Marty her freedom (although he still didn't imply that she had family to return to), so I think it was a captive falling in love with her captor. Did Todd kidnap Marty? No, he rescued her... Did Todd deceive Marty? Yes. Did Todd force her to stay with him? No. Did Todd rape her? No. Is there a criminal presedence (sp) here? Unsure. Is there a civil case here? I think it's more likely, but still unsure. What I'm sure about is OLTL has risen from the ashes and has caused much debate in this original s/l. Carlivatti has succeeded. Although, the fictional Marty will realize this, it is still a bitter pill. So IA, OLTL is must see T.V. and not disgusting, IMO.

• Members

It's a strange position for me: I hate the spoilers but when the shows air, I find the story to be fine in its handling of Marty so far. We'll see if that changes in the next two weeks, because I find the idea of Todd beating the rape charge unthinkable. I also agree there's been no exploration of Todd, which is a huge blunder. Right now this whole thing is an albatross dragging down otherwise good scenes on an otherwise good show, IMHO.

• Members

Well I'm not going to forget the fact that for days now Marty has vowed to get revenge on Todd, obesessing over it, and asking Andrew about what she did to him so she could do sort of the same thing to Todd,,,,,,sooo I'm going to wait for this all to play out. I have a small theory where this is all going, but I could be wrong.

Archived