Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I shouldn't take pleasure in knowing that information.  Under the circumstances, however, I'm glad to know that karma is finally demanding a payback from the Trump administration after four years of their dangerous leadership.

• Members

This is not easy to gauge at the moment but if he doesn't choose a woman and/or POC as his running mate, I think he could be in for trouble with the most loyal voters of the Democratic base. With the severe disappointment over the suspension of Kamala Harris' campaign and then Elizabeth Warren's campaign (although Warren's campaign is a bit more complicated since she actually got to the primaries but didn't get many delegates during the process), there was a sense that two old white guys took all the oxygen in the room and I don't think just having say a woman as AG is going to cut it, from what I've been hearing when I talk to friends and relatives of mine, people want to feel as though they have a 'seat at the table' where power is concerned.

President Obama was very astute in his realization that, as a relatively young black man, he needed some type of a balance, if only to pacify skittish Dems who might have thought he was a big risk to bet on.  Biden needs that balance for different reasons, namely his advanced age, his propensity to utter gaffes and to remember things the way they never were, as you pointed out--all aspects that have made Dems skittish about him.  Biden needs a sharp mind to back him. He also needs someone representative of his base.

If Obama needed a Biden, clearly Biden needs an Obama-type this time around.

Live by the market, die by the market. It's what he deserves.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I have a feeling it will be a Latina, since he said he is picking a black woman for the Supreme Court...although yes, it's gross to speculate and to divide up different groups this way. I just hope the effort isn't focused on trying to pander to groups who likely won't be voting heavily for the Democrats and neglecting those who do.

I know a lot of people want Warren to be VP. I think that would be a mistake, although I hope she does have a central role in his campaign.

• Members

Having a ticket of two 70-somethings is just not sustainable, imo.

It's already been done. Biden may be regarded as a "safe" choice by many but there has to be some hint of pushing progress somewhere if Dems want to ensure that people actually go out to vote in a general election. Even though I voted for her, from the beginning, I had the distinct impression Tim Kaine as HRC's VP might not be enough of an inducement to get vast swaths of the electorate to the polls. I can't say that was definitive because...voter suppresion...but I noticed a distinct lack of enthusiasm (among many around me) toward that ticket when Kaine was named as a running mate. Enthusiasm still counts for something.

Something that Obama definitely had going for him is that he was a unique candidate with a unique backstory and even though he faced criticism during his campaign, he was very hard to pin down, despite the best efforts to pin things on him, ideologically and otherwise.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

If anyone actually wants to help regarding Trump they should take his Twitter account, as his "Chinese virus" tweet overshadowed and dominated any other news or advice from yesterday - which is exactly what he wanted. 

@marceline the Ohio primary situation sounds nightmarish. I'm sorry about everything going on.