The Politics Thread

• Members

Frankly, @Juliajms, I doubt it.  I don't believe African-Americans, who remain a significant part of the Democratic Party's base, will ever fully embrace Pete Buttigieg the way they have, say, Joe Biden.  There's simply too much weariness (to put it mildly) on the part of minorities to trust that he would understand and address our ongoing concerns with this country.

At this point, my advice to him would be 1) endorse another candidate ASAP (if not Biden, then Elizabeth Warren); 2) put out feelers for on-air political analyst gigs in order to stay in the public eye; and 3) run for the Senate at the next opportunity.  There's no shame in being a "career senator."  Many of our greatest politicians, in fact, were never president.  Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg of South Bend, IN, could one day join that very illustrious group.

(...Or, he and Chasten could get their own reality series on Logo.  I'd watch.)

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Pete Buttigieg was the first openly gay man to run for president.  Yet, it was as if he and/or his campaign's advisers were doing everything possible to make his sexuality NOT be the thing that defined him or defined him most as a candidate -- to the point of avoiding real talk on those issues you've alluded to, @DramatistDreamer -- even as all of Buttigieg's public appearances seemingly ended with him and his husband embracing and kissing in front of the cheering crowd.  To me, that was...baffling.

I'm not suggesting Buttigieg should've exploited his sexuality, or that that might've helped him stay in the race longer.  But, I do believe it needed to be more of a lens through which he could see LGBTQ-related and other issues in his campaign.

If anything, Pete Buttigieg proves, once and for all, that not all gay men are like RuPaul.  Nevertheless, I'm not convinced he and Chasten are in it for the long haul. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

True.

In the end, maybe being the first openly gay man to run for president was all Pete Buttigieg needed to accomplish.  Maybe now, the path will be a little more smooth for the next, openly gay man or woman who decides to have a shot at running this country....

....Maybe.

Edited by Khan

• Members

If Joe Biden's performance in the South Carolina primary was all that was needed to get Tom Steyer, Pete Buttigieg and now Amy Klobuchar to drop out of the 2020 race, then maybe we DO need to rethink Iowa and New Hampshire being the first to primary or caucus our presidential candidates.

• Members

Needless to say, the results of the South Carolina primary caught Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar and Tom Steyer off guard.  Up to that point, I think they all believed they had viable paths to the nomination.  But, African-American voters in SC pretty much told them, "Nope!".

• Members

Is that nuisance Tulsi Gabbard still buzzing about?

Didn't Steyer come in 3rd? A very distant third but he owes that placement to whichever of his campaign workers stole Kamala's data (which they claimed they never used-wink) for his strangely generous showing in SC. Still wasn't enough but a lot better than he would've done with his $$$$ alone.