Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In a way, it's good to see long lines at polling places, because that means people are taking this election seriously.  But, if some are so exasperated with the lines that they're giving up...?  I dunno.  I wish I had a solution for that particular issue.

Well, my district (Warr Acres/Putnam City) was created during "white flight;" so, yes, there remains an inordinate number of middle-class whites.  In recent years, however, I find the "makeup" of my neighborhood changing, as more working-class whites and non-whites are moving into the neighborhood.  (Plus, those older, white residents are inevitably dying off and/or moving into retirement homes outside the area.). Hopefully, in years to come, that will translate into this and other districts in OK "turning blue."

Exactly.

It's amazing to think "Cheers," a long-running sitcom, had not just two conservative Republicans (Kelsey Grammer and John Ratzenberger) in its' cast, but a hard-core Scientologist (Kirstie Alley) as well.  Yet, by all accounts, theirs was a happy, productive set; and hardly anyone (not even Kirstie) has hurt for work in the years since.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Just made it to the polls in time, before they closed here at 7:30pm EST in North Carolina. It was busy at work today and I stayed a little longer. I usually get off 6:30, but stayed a little later today because we were shorthanded in the office. But I was able to get out of there in enough time and grab my dad and we voted. There weren't many people at our polling place (like 8 or 9 at most). Though, it never is crowed at my polling place. 

I did hear NC was experiencing some minor issues, but none where I'm at. The largest polling place in the city had gotten some new voting equipment this year. (Not mines it was pen and paper ballot as usual). And people were reporting that things went smoothly voting with it, which I was glad to hear.

I wonder how the results will end up shaking out here in the state. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

But, in our (Oklahoma's) defense, we are very much a red state; and with Donald Trump facing no real primary challenges, it's possible we're fine with the status quo.  Unfortunately.

I honestly believe it should remain that way for every state.  Whenever we've attempted to modernize and revolutionize how we vote in our elections, we've ended up making a big mess of the entire operation.

And Sanders takes Vermont (per the NYT).

Edited by Khan

• Members

That's mostly the main way, I've voted, that old school way with the pen and paper, lol. The only exception was when I voted for the first time at 18 in Texas and I had to pull a lever. But I've never really got to vote electronically. (Though, I definitely wouldn't mind voting like that).  The new machines that were being used at the largest polling place in my area have a flash drive now with a memory. In case it fails they are supposed to have a backup of the memory. Hopefully, those machines will continue to run smoothly for those who use them. 

And I just saw on CNN that Joe Biden is predicted to win NC. I am interested in seeing what other results come from the state.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Frankly, I'm more concerned tonight about the two questions -- one, on a permanent tax increase to fund, among other things, a state parks fund; and the other, on whether the liquor stores should remain open on Sundays -- on our state's ballot.

But, once upon a time, Janet "Penny Baby" Jackson couldn't get enough of it.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I know I'm looking forward to hearing about how black voters in those states are self-hating and right wing, and that neither state represents America. 

Honestly Janet was the prettiest thing in that video for me, but I'll admit this, a few GH scenes, and his guest spot on Melrose (or truncated regular spot - whatever that was) were his high points. Too bad about everything past 1996. 

(you notice Kimberlin Brown, who is also a Republican and has run for office in recent years, isn't going around bitching nonstop to get free press...)

• Members

I did just see on CNN, a pretty long looking line in Texas. (Though, I think it was a different city than Houston). Hopefully, everyone in long lines will stay put and get the opportunity to vote.